Can we add SPI SRAM to our ESP32s?

kolban

Can we add SPI SRAM to our ESP32s?

Postby kolban » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:59 am

I am wondering if I can expand an ESP32 module by adding additional SPI SRAM? For example, here is an IC that seems to supply 1mbit of SRAM via SPI.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/268/25142A-47786.pdf

Would it be "possible" to attach this to an ESP32 to add additional "data memory"? If yes, I'm wondering if we can start a discussion to discuss possible recipes. Some how we would have to instruct the ESP32 to actually driver the device which would mean we would have to configure the ESP32 to send the SPI commands. We would presumably also have to "map" the external SPI SRAM into the ESP32 address space. I am also assuming that FreeRTOS is managing the available heap space so ideally we would also inform FreeRTOS about additional memory in its address space so that it could "malloc()" and "free()" (I assume).
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

ESP_Sprite

Re: Can we add SPI SRAM to our ESP32s?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:47 am

With the new revision of the silicon, you should be able to do this. Code is very new and the new metal revision still is somewhat untested, but seems to work. We'll be manufacturing ESP-WROVER modules for this, which are similar to the ESP-WROOM32 modules but have an intergrated 4MByte of PSRAM on board.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:With the new revision of the silicon, you should be able to do this. Code is very new and the new metal revision still is somewhat untested, but seems to work. We'll be manufacturing ESP-WROVER modules for this, which are similar to the ESP-WROOM32 modules but have an intergrated 4MByte of PSRAM on board.

does this PSRAM ESP-WROVER has Ethernet then on Board too?
can you tell, on which hardware ( MC[LAN8720, LAN8710..) , TI[tlk110, ..]) this is based?

does this PSRAM ESP-WROVER has audio ( LYRA ) too?

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 am

Nope and nope. the ESP-WROVER is basically just an ESP-WROOM32 with PSRAM added.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:Nope and nope. the ESP-WROVER is basically just an ESP-WROOM32 with PSRAM added.
thank you,
must ask again,
does lyra board come out to market
or / and ethernet board
from espressif?

thank you jeroen

best wishes
rudi ;-)
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:51 am

Lyra: No clue. Maybe we will sell some publicly as soon as the audio SDK is released. Ethernet: We should, there's a nice PoE board in development. Not sure why it's not finished yet, maybe the PCB guys/girls had some higher priority work going on.