ESP32-WROVER-B / Wifi Performance with UniFi mesh and high TTL

thecompu

ESP32-WROVER-B / Wifi Performance with UniFi mesh and high TTL

Postby thecompu » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Hello,

Full disclosure: I am not a developer or programmer. I am trying to lighten the load of someone who is and am seeing a couple of issues in a product he and a team are developing. I am trying to gather data for them.

I have a product based on the ESP32-WROVER-B. Here are my questions:

1. I am personally on a UniFi wireless mesh network. When scanning for wireless networks, the unit is displaying all BSSIDs of mesh members within range as opposed to just a single network SSID. My network, for instance, is named Zoinks2g. The device is within range of the base station and one beacon. The unit picks up the base and the beacon and presents it as two distinct networks with the same name. Is that what it's supposed to do? I suppose I'm asking, when you tell the ESP32 to scan, is it up to the developer to display the single network or could there be something wrong in the way the mesh is setup or type of scanning done? Here's what Ubiquiti says about the mesh radios:
Each beacon and AP/UDM has its own BSSID, this being in the form of a MAC address. This will show up as individual APs with most survey tools, like wifiman.

But, seeing a second SSID on a device when you select which one you want to connect to isn't right. Unless there has been a configuration sync issue where a beacon hasn't updated any SSID changes you have made, or your device just hasn't timed the old SSID out after you made changes.
Is the ESP acting more like a survey tool?

2. TTLs to the unit are very bad. Pings sent to it from another device on the same network is high double and sometimes middle triple digits (500ms). Another device on the network will respond with 3ms. What's more, when the unit is receiving data it seems to lose connectivity altogether. No ping responses at all and the program running off it locks up. Most TX/RX utilizes UDP.

3. Is there any internal caching with regard to wireless networks it has seen and/or has connected to?

I can get more information if necessary. I hope someone can reply with answers.

I will be talking with Ubiquiti this week to see if there's anything wrong with my mesh setup.

Cheers,

Mike Whalen

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-WROVER-B / Wifi Performance with UniFi mesh and high TTL

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:23 am

1. No, that sounds about right. You might have an use case where you want to connect to a certain BSSID, so we should report all BSSIDs separately.

2. Try to disable WiFi power savings on the ESP32 side if latency is an issue in your application.

3. Not that I know of.