Has the new ESP32-S3 dropped the Ethernet MAC

username

Has the new ESP32-S3 dropped the Ethernet MAC

Postby username » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:19 am

I have heard that the new ESP32-S3 has not included the Ethernet MAC. So close to having it all if this is the case.
If this is true, I hope Espressif will provide a path to use Ethernet as well.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Has the new ESP32-S3 dropped the Ethernet MAC

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am

This is true; it does not have an Ethernet MAC. Note that this is not the only chip we have in development, and while I can't say much more, we're certainly not dropping Ethernet entirely.

JimmyPedersen

Postby JimmyPedersen » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:17 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am
This is true; it does not have an Ethernet MAC. Note that this is not the only chip we have in development, and while I can't say much more, we're certainly not dropping Ethernet entirely.
@ESP_Sprite: A year has gone by since the last post regarding this.
So I was just wondering if there is anything you can share about any up-comming chips with ethernet in them?
I've recently done a design, not ordered yet, with an ESP32 using ethernet and it was a very tight fit with regards to available pins (No spare pins left. Lets hope everything works :-) )
Something like an ESP32-S3 with built-in Ethernet Phy would be awesome ;-)

Ps. Has anyone tested the ESP32-S3 with SPI based ethernet MAC+Phy? Speed? Stability?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:30 am

Sorry, I have nothing to share. From a more practical point of view: after a chip has been announced, it usually takes a fairly large while before the chips actually hit the market. In other words; if your design needs to be built in say the next half year or so, it may be better to not count on anything unannounced as of now, going fully for sale by then.