What does the s behind ESP32s2 mean and how can I find out what I have?

RichPiano

What does the s behind ESP32s2 mean and how can I find out what I have?

Postby RichPiano » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:55 pm

This is a stupid question I know, but I'm not able to find the precise answer anywhere. I'm guessing it means series. But according to Wikipedia, it is complicated: The chip is packed into an FQN. The FQN is wrapped into a module. And the module is wrapped into a development board (correct me if I'm wrong). Which leaves me with the following questions:

1) What does the series reference? Is it the chip series, the series of the FQN or the series of the module?
2) What is the difference to the chip revision?
3) How can I read out the series from my esp32?

My guess is that series hints to the module itself while the revision only concerns the chip.

EDIT: Another question just popped up: 4) Does the esp-idf automatically detect which series esp32 is connected and then launch the corresponding compiler (xtensa-esp32-elf, xtensa-esp32s2-elf, xtensa-esp32s3-elf) or do I have to input that manually?

Franco

Re: What does the s behind ESP32s2 mean and how can I find out what I have?

Postby Franco » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi, ESP32-S2 is part of the S series of SoCs, like the recently released S3. You can read about the various SoCs here
The Espressif Products 
Ordering Information is a detailed reference of all the products made by Espressif.
Hope this helps.

RichPiano

Postby RichPiano » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:24 pm

Thank you @Franco yes this already helps a lot!

I'm still fairly confused about the difference from SoC Series to Chip Revision. Is it the same or not?

Franco

Postby Franco » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:04 pm

You are welcome @RichPiano,
SoC families and chip revisions are independent matters, each family has its own history of chip revisions. I think that the best way to identify the current rev is to check in the Product Selection Guide. I would recommend to start a new design with the most recent release.

RichPiano

Postby RichPiano » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:39 pm

Thank you very much!