Uploading Code By Using USB-to-UART to ESP Dev Kit

mustafaugur

Uploading Code By Using USB-to-UART to ESP Dev Kit

Postby mustafaugur » Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to upload the code that I wrote in Arduino IDE to my ESP Dev Kit. But I don't want to use USB-mini. Instead, I want to use a USB-to-UART converter because I have developed my own board with ESP32 Microcontroller on it, and that board is tiny, and I don't want to deal with the soldering of the CP2102 component.

So, I bought a USB-to-UART converter that has CP2102 on it. Then I connected the pins like these:

Converter's 3.3V --------> ESP Dev Kit's 3.3V
Converter's GND --------> ESP Dev Kit's GND
Converter's RX --------> ESP Dev Kit's TX
Converter's TX --------> ESP Dev Kit's RX

After I connect them, I can see the port in my IDE, I upload the code, but it is stuck on the Connecting part. I push the boot(upload) button, but it doesn't cause anything. I try to push both buttons at the same time, but it doesn't work as well.

Do you have any suggestions for this situation?

ESP_Sprite

Re: Uploading Code By Using USB-to-UART to ESP Dev Kit

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 am

The correct button trick is to press and hold 'BOOT', then press and release 'RST', then release 'BOOT'; as your setup lacks the auto-reset functionality, you'll have to do this every time. However, if you're using a devboard, an additional issue may be that the on-board USB-to-serial converter chips interferes with your external one. Suggest you look up the schematic for your devkit for that issue; at least our official devkits have resistors you can remove to isolate the RX/TX pins from the onboard CP210x.

mustafaugur

Postby mustafaugur » Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 am

Thank you for your suggestion. But, I tried that first I removed the CP2102 chip on the Dev Kit and tried to upload my code to the Dev Kit but it didn't work. Also, I tried to upload the code in the way that you described in your first sentence it didn't work also. I will try to desolder the Esp controller chip and I will solder the RX, TX pins of it to the converter and try to upload the code again.

eltholad

Postby eltholad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 pm

Were you ever able to find a solution to this question? I am having the same issue.

menora

Postby menora » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Same problem here

menora

Postby menora » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 pm

Okay, I found a solution.

I think the USB-UART controller is setting Rx to high. So just remove the resistors from Rx between the Wroom module and the USB-UART controller.