Particular Heating Issue

Spotter

Particular Heating Issue

Postby Spotter » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:44 pm

Hey,

I'm actually making my first project on an ESP32, but I recently met a pretty annoying heating problem. My work is based on IOT so i'm using wifi and the Blynk app for the interface. To summerize :

- When I execute my program without WIFI : The board is cool, nothing to report.

- When I execute it with the wifi and I take off the board from the rest of my system, the temperature increases but it's still acceptable. I guess the wireless connection requires more current so it's pretty normal.

- But when I execute this same program with the wifi AND it's wired to the rest of the system, there is an issue. The CPU precisely doesn't get too hot compared to the previous case, i'd say it is at the same temperature in both of them. But there's a very particular zone getting really, really hot, near to the integrated LEDS, just above the EN button. (I use the same model as the one on the picture)

Any ideas of where it can come from and what provokes the heating of this part of the board precisely ?

ESP_Sprite

Re: Particular Heating Issue

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 am

There's a schottky diode there... how do you power the module? USB or via Vin?

Spotter

Re: Particular Heating Issue

Postby Spotter » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:17 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 am
There's a schottky diode there... how do you power the module? USB or via Vin?
Thank's for your answer ESP_Sprite !

I finally found out where was the issue. The board is powered with the micro USB port, but the problem was that I used the Vin pin to feed an MQ sensor (wich has a pretty high current consumption) so it was heating the track of the 5V pin I guess. I was already planning change the power supply of my sensors but I wasn't expecting for it to do that since everything was okay before i use the wifi. :mrgreen:

Everything is fine since I changed the power source of the sensors. The CPU and the tension regulator are still heating a little bit after some hours but they're not burning, this is okay isn't it ?