ESP32 wifi through walls

Jonathan2892

ESP32 wifi through walls

Postby Jonathan2892 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Hey there,

I have a general question about if the esp32-wrover/-wroom is the right solution for my project. I want to build an iot-devie for my kitchen and this device is connected to my W-LAN. Between the router and the esp32 are some walls, like the router is not on the same floor or in another room than the kitchen.

I have made some simple experiments with an esp32-wrover and -wroom module with the build-in PCB-Antenna, but I can not get through a wall and the connection ist highly dependent on the orientation of the esp32-antenna in relation to the router. But my phone (iPhone) is getting a very good connection. So my question is, if is it possible to get an iPhone-like good connection or do I have to look for other chips than the esp32?

Best,
Jonny

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 wifi through walls

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 am

A possible option is to get one of the modules with an IPEX antenna connection, and add an external (high-gain) antenna. The on-PCB antennas of the units with an internal antenna is pretty good, relatively speaking, but in the end they're still simply traces on the PCB.