Setting efuse to ESP32-S3 to enable DFU on boot press.

chegewara

Re: Setting efuse to ESP32-S3 to enable DFU on boot press.

Postby chegewara » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:43 am

Using zadig is very easy, just follow this (or similar) vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTq5ZWdhRM

From dropdown list select esp32 S3, and if you are not sure which device is it, then check USB ID to match VID:0x303A and PID is 0x0001 or 0x0002, dont remember.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:01 am

Note that Zadig won't help you when the USB device is not detected successfully. I'd love to double-check the DFU functionality here, but due to Covid troubles here in Shanghai I don't have access to an ESP32S3 in the short term, sorry.

darkgiuseppe

Postby darkgiuseppe » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:01 am
Note that Zadig won't help you when the USB device is not detected successfully. I'd love to double-check the DFU functionality here, but due to Covid troubles here in Shanghai I don't have access to an ESP32S3 in the short term, sorry.
That is what I was thinking as well, it should be detected automatically. No worries on not being able to grab an ESP32-S3-devkit, I can send you one of mine if you are okay with helping troubleshoot this along with me. What is an address that I may send it too? Would you rather have one that is untouched or with the efuse already blown? Or both? I am making a small project and if I can get this working okay, I would like to buy many more units. I actually am waiting for 100 units from Mouser to come in, taking a gamble here and trying to get things working with the return policy they have. Everything in my project works (BLE, FreeRTOS, the app code, etc) but the last thing I need is this DFU functionality to work.

darkgiuseppe

Postby darkgiuseppe » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:17 pm

chegewara wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:43 am
Using zadig is very easy, just follow this (or similar) vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTq5ZWdhRM

From dropdown list select esp32 S3, and if you are not sure which device is it, then check USB ID to match VID:0x303A and PID is 0x0001 or 0x0002, dont remember.
Thank you for this!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 am

darkgiuseppe wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm
[ What is an address that I may send it too? Would you rather have one that is untouched or with the efuse already blown? Or both?
That's kind of you, but there's all sorts of logistics issues here that probably makes it faster for me to wait until I can get some from the office somehow.

darkgiuseppe

Postby darkgiuseppe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:15 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 am
darkgiuseppe wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm
[ What is an address that I may send it too? Would you rather have one that is untouched or with the efuse already blown? Or both?
That's kind of you, but there's all sorts of logistics issues here that probably makes it faster for me to wait until I can get some from the office somehow.
I really don't mind. I have sent things to China before and it got there okay unless the logistics issues are more involved than using DHL. But if it is not possible, I am not sure how else to troubleshoot the getting it to recognize it as a DFU device.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:06 am

darkgiuseppe wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:15 am
I really don't mind. I have sent things to China before and it got there okay unless the logistics issues are more involved than using DHL. But if it is not possible, I am not sure how else to troubleshoot the getting it to recognize it as a DFU device.
The issues are on this side; a fair bit of Shanghai is in lockdown quarantine and a lot of deliveries simply sit in a warehouse until the city re-opens; I don't think there's much you can do about that on your side. Give it a week or so and it should get better (knock on wood).

darkgiuseppe

Postby darkgiuseppe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:12 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:06 am
darkgiuseppe wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:15 am
The issues are on this side; a fair bit of Shanghai is in lockdown quarantine and a lot of deliveries simply sit in a warehouse until the city re-opens; I don't think there's much you can do about that on your side. Give it a week or so and it should get better (knock on wood).
No worries. I will ping back in about a week.

JVKran

Postby JVKran » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:37 am

Hi there!

I heard the lockdown in Shanghai has been extended for an indefinite time. Hang in there!

Furthermore, I just wanted to let y'all know I'm having the same issue as described in the previous posts.
Personally I'm going to put using USB on hold, but nevertheless it would be great to have!

Kind regards,

Jochem

darkgiuseppe

Postby darkgiuseppe » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:55 pm

JVKran wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:37 am
Hi there!

I heard the lockdown in Shanghai has been extended for an indefinite time. Hang in there!

Furthermore, I just wanted to let y'all know I'm having the same issue as described in the previous posts.
Personally I'm going to put using USB on hold, but nevertheless it would be great to have!

Kind regards,

Jochem
Hey so it is not just me eh ;) Yes hopefully everyone is safe on Espressif's end and hopefully the lockdown settles soon.

So even though I would still like USB to work for DFU/bootloader, I found a work around for now. I am going to use the Espressif Flash Download tool to continue with my project. Works for both UART-USB and CDC USB on my dev board. It might suit you as well.

https://www.espressif.com/en/support/do ... ools?keys=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgqdD4oU0U