ESP32 C3 USB not connecting to PC after a few uploads

Alex Rossouw

ESP32 C3 USB not connecting to PC after a few uploads

Postby Alex Rossouw » Wed May 18, 2022 11:31 am

My pc fails to recognize my DFRobot Beetle dev board v 1.0. It uses the ESP32-C3-mini-1. It works out the box then after some uploads no connection or the connection is cycling on-off...

Using Windows 10 OS. Swapping Arduino IDE and VSCode around don't work. Cool term wont connect nor see it on com ports. Windows Device manager not seeing it anymore.

I updated drivers according to the ESP32 C3 data sheet. Still nothing.

Did I bork it? Or worse?

Any input (as it were) would be much appreciated :)

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 C3 USB not connecting to PC after a few uploads

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 18, 2022 1:04 pm

Hm, I can't find a proper datasheet for the C3 version of that board, but assuming it uses the internal USB-serial-JTAG converter, you could have configured one of the USB pins as a GPIO. In this case, you need to force the chip into download mode. Easiest way is to connect GPIO9 to ground and reset the board (e.g. by unpluggin/replugging the USB port)

Da Flex

Postby Da Flex » Wed May 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Try a shorter USB cable.

Alex Rossouw

Postby Alex Rossouw » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:31 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:04 pm
Hm, I can't find a proper datasheet for the C3 version of that board, but assuming it uses the internal USB-serial-JTAG converter, you could have configured one of the USB pins as a GPIO. In this case, you need to force the chip into download mode. Easiest way is to connect GPIO9 to ground and reset the board (e.g. by unpluggin/replugging the USB port)
Ok shorting those pins and replugging works, thanx!