How can I add ethernet ESP32-A1S chip?

serogrip

How can I add ethernet ESP32-A1S chip?

Postby serogrip » Tue May 24, 2022 8:41 am

Hi,

I have a project to convert audio to ethernet.

The ESP32-A1S is very nice because it has an audio codec.

But I need to add an wire ethernet to the board.

Is there a way to add wire ethernet to the ESP32-A1S chip?

Or find other esp32 chip audio codecs with Ethernet?

rpiloverbd

Re: How can I add ethernet ESP32-A1S chip?

Postby rpiloverbd » Wed May 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Looks like we cannot have audio and ethernet together. None of the esspressif boards supports these two together. Anyway, let's see if someone comes up with a solution.

ESP_ondrej

Re: How can I add ethernet ESP32-A1S chip?

Postby ESP_ondrej » Thu May 26, 2022 6:05 am

I didn't spend much time with deep analysis however here is my thoughts:
- Using RMII and external Ethernet PHY is an option. It needs to be confirmed that EMAC GPIOs are not already assigned to other interfaces. Also note that external RMII REF CLK would be required since we could get into trouble if we wanted to generate it by ESP32 because RMII REF CLK has the same source as I2C CLK.
- Using one of SPI Ethernet modules could be probably more suitable solution or at least you could try it right away since it does not necessarily require design of new PCB. You could use one of the supported modules and connect it to your board via jump wires. Only note that connecting the Ethernet SPI module with ESP32 via wires has one limitation - you cannot use high speed SPI CLK since you would have trouble with signal integrity.
See for supported SPI Ethernet modules at https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... se-example.

[Edit]
Here is example of ready to use SPI Ethernet module: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Ethernet ... B08KXM8TKJ