ESP32-C3 need help with PCB design

barryblake

ESP32-C3 need help with PCB design

Postby barryblake » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:12 pm

Looking at a few reference designs I've come up with the following design and ordered an assembled PCB. My goal was a simple PCB with USB-C, leveraging the C3's built-in JTAG capabilities to avoid a USB-to-Serial chip.

I thought I had everything in order, but when plugging this in the computer doesn't recognize the device. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

The 3.3V & 5V header pins are wired correctly when checking with a multimeter, however when connecting the TXD0 and RXD0 via pin headers to a FTDI232 chip to 'manually' flash the ESP32 it still doesn't work.

[edit] removed screenshot
Last edited by barryblake on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3 need help with PCB design

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:57 am

At first glance at least, nothing seems wrong with your schematic. I imagine you already measured if you have a solid 3.3V rail if the PCB is plugged in? If you have the FT232 connected and you're running a terminal program (or 'idf.py monitor') on your PC, and you reset the ESP32C3 by momentarily grounding its EN pin, do you see the bootup chatter it produces?

barryblake

Re: ESP32-C3 need help with PCB design

Postby barryblake » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:25 pm

It turns out that that particular PCB was not working correctly, tried other ones from the same batch and all of them worked as expected. Thanks for the input, will troubleshoot anyway to see if I can see which component is at fault here as at first glance the 3.3V rail seems to work fine.