Adding an EMI shield over ESP32 SOCs

Fusion

Adding an EMI shield over ESP32 SOCs

Postby Fusion » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:09 pm

Would anyone happen to know which components should be covered by an EMI can? I am working with limited available space under then can. It seems I will be able to fit the SOC and some passives like the 3V3 decoupling capacitors. Should I also try to cram the antenna coil or any other passives under there? The datasheets don't mention anything and I'm aware this depends on the implementation and lab testing, so I'm looking for general advice on this. Thanks!

polyakbalazs

Re: Adding an EMI shield over ESP32 SOCs

Postby polyakbalazs » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:28 pm

Usually you would fit anything that is sensitive to noises. The decoupling capacitors are great ideas, I also would fit xtal(s) there. Antenna matching circuit is also possible to fit there, but not necessary in my opinon.

As an example, ESP modules also have an EMI shield on them covering everything. The shield also provides mechanical safety e.g. users are not touching the chip, less probability for ESD.

If you are developing a board like this, design the shield over the components, but when manufacturing DO NOT solder the shield immediately on the board, only after achieving the correct working behaviour. Then you can solder them on. It is a pain in the a** to desolder shields from the board.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.