ESP32-S3 seemingly rebooting every few seconds after USB connection

misenghou

ESP32-S3 seemingly rebooting every few seconds after USB connection

Postby misenghou » Mon May 29, 2023 7:19 am

Hi all,

I've created a PCB for a rocketry flight computer, however after assembling and trying to connect via USB, it keeps resetting every few seconds. After initial connection, the windows USB device connection sound plays, but every few seconds after that, the disconnection sound plays. I've attached a video of this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D-TH2r ... sp=sharing. The schematic and layout files for the PCB can be found at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing.

Currently, the radio module is not soldered on and the 3V3 line to the ESP32-S3 is remains stable at 3.3V. Things I've tried so far:
  • Remove components around the ESP32 including the GPS, accelerometers, baro and some pull up resistors however the issue still remains.
  • Replacing the ESP32 with another chip
  • Using idf.py functions such as chip_id and monitor works however it disconnects every few seconds
Does anyone have experience fixing something like this and is there anything else I should check?

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3 seemingly rebooting every few seconds after USB connection

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon May 29, 2023 11:18 am

Does it also do that when you hold the BOOT button when powering up?

misenghou

Postby misenghou » Tue May 30, 2023 3:54 am

ESP_Sprite wrote: Does it also do that when you hold the BOOT button when powering up?
Yeah it does still do it when I hold the BOOT button

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 31, 2023 9:27 am

Note you need to do that specifically when powering up (or resetting using the reset button) the ESP32. It does not work if the ESP32 already has come out of reset.

username

Postby username » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:20 pm

FWIW. I had the same issue. Holding down GPIO0 alone did not do the trick for me. I had to hold down GPIO0 & EN, then release EN.

roger.black

Postby roger.black » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:49 pm

I am seeing the same thing. I have two of the exact same PCBs, both with an esp32-s3-wroom-1u and one board works and the other does not. I've probed out all the connections and everything checks out. The only difference I can see is that the board that works has "MON16R8" written on the bottom and the one that does not work has "MCN16R8". I can program via serial but not USB.

If I plug in the bad board I get an error on windows saying the USB device is not recognized and when I check device manager is says "Device Descriptor Request Failed"

roger.black

Postby roger.black » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:29 pm

Turns out I had a bad ESD chip on my board that was somehow interfering with the USB communication