ESP32-S3 doesn't boot after long disconnection from power

leafmuncher

ESP32-S3 doesn't boot after long disconnection from power

Postby leafmuncher » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:11 am

This is kind of a weird one, but it's consistent across a few boards I've made, so I'm sure it's the same mistake.

- If I unplug USB power and re-plug immediately or within a few minutes, everything is fine.
- If I want 20-30 minutes and plug in, it seemingly doesn't boot properly (serial logs show connection but no output).
- Hitting the reset button also results in a proper reset and code runs after the "bad boot".

I thought the issue might be the fact that I had left out C31 in this schematic, but this new board with this capacitor exhibits the same behavior. (I'm nearly certain that it is a capacitor-related issue, since the time left unplugged probably is correlated to capacitor discharge.) This is the power/USB section if it's helpful.

My only thought is to increase C31 or add more capacitance to the power output section, but would really appreciate any feedback around how to best track down the source of the issue.

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3 doesn't boot after long disconnection from power

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:42 am

Remove C9.

leafmuncher

Re: ESP32-S3 doesn't boot after long disconnection from power

Postby leafmuncher » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am

Thanks for the reply. I just read another thread here where someone made the same mistake. I wonder if we both copied the same incorrect source :D