ESP32 ~ RTC Clock Accuracy

hunter

ESP32 ~ RTC Clock Accuracy

Postby hunter » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:44 pm

I cannot find anywhere that states the accuracy of the RTC Clock when the Internal 8.5 MHz oscillator, divided by 256 (~33 kHz) is selected.

I know that using an external RTC or an external crystal is the most accurate, but perhaps the internal RTC is accurate enough for my purposes.

On this page, it outlines which clocks are more accurate.. but does not seem to quantify these differences:
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... _time.html

The page above also has the following statement:
  1. [b]RTC timer:[/b] Allows keeping the system time during any resets and sleep modes, only the power-up reset leads to resetting the RTC timer. The frequency deviation depends on an RTC Clock Source and affects accuracy only in sleep modes, in which case the time will be measured at 6.6667 us resolution.
The last sentence does not make sense to me (surely I am just reading it wrong).

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction concerning the RTC accuracy capabilities over different temperature ranges?

This is the exact component that I am looking to utilize:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 6/16162647

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 ~ RTC Clock Accuracy

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:19 am

Hm, seems that info is not in the datasheet yet. I remember the accuracy is something like +/- 5%, so not super accurate. I poked the docs team to add this to the chip datasheet.

hunter

Re: ESP32 ~ RTC Clock Accuracy

Postby hunter » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:33 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:19 am
Hm, seems that info is not in the datasheet yet. I remember the accuracy is something like +/- 5%, so not super accurate. I poked the docs team to add this to the chip datasheet.
Thank you for clarifying and requesting that it be added to the datasheet. Hopefully, they will do so soon so that no one else spends a significant amount of time searching like I did. :lol:

Thank you again for the response.