ESP32 is blocked

Nespressif

ESP32 is blocked

Postby Nespressif » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 am

Hello, everybody,

I have a problem with my board (is this https://es.aliexpress.com/item/ESP-32S- ... 0.0.54qhHF), I'm doing a small project, which registers a timer, a button (Pin D4) and 7 touch pad. When the timer activates a binary semaphore in its isr, it sends by wifi the information of the button pressings and touch pads, which has been counting in its isr by means of the increase of two counters, in addition it also sends the temperature of the chip and the wifi signal.

My board is programmed by the esp-idf, I adjust the parameters to send every minute or two minutes. The power supply is via a micro usb cable with a 5v/1A adapterhttps://es.aliexpress.com/item/ORICO-5V ... 0.0.54qhHF.

The problem is that it freezes every two or three days and stops sending information. I have implemented a control in the only task of the program for the system to restore itself every X sent or when it detects corruption in the stack, as shown below. I've also set an interrupt watchdog to restart if it crashes, but nothing works.

It seems as if it is charged with static electricity and blocked, sometimes it also starts sending at longer intervals than programmed, a strange behavior.

Is there any way to know why it doesn't work, when powered through the micro usb connector with a mobile phone charger?
Is there a safe way to restart the board if it stops working?

Please, I would very much appreciate some help to solve this problem, if you need more details I can give you.

Greetings,

Nespressif

Re: ESP32 is blocked

Postby Nespressif » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm

When I start the monitor, this message appears in yellow:
W (67) rtc_clk: Possibly invalid CONFIG_ESP32_XTAL_FREQ setting (40MHz). Detected 40 MHz.
This in green color:
I (37) boot: ESP-IDF v3.0-dev-1028-g2c95a77 2nd stage bootloader
I (37) boot: compile time 22:11:17
I (37) boot: Enabling RNG early entropy source...
I (43) boot: SPI Speed: 40MHz
I (47) boot: SPI Mode: DIO
I (51) boot: SPI Flash Size: 4MB

In the menuconfig only three clock speeds appear to me: 80,160 and 240. To test I set the speed to 80Mhz and fed the board with a protoboard power supply to 3.3v, to test if it crashes after a few days.

Please, can someone please tell me which clock speed would be the right one? the amount of data to be processed is very small.

Oh, thank you.

Nespressif

Re: ESP32 is blocked

Postby Nespressif » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Maybe this is the key...in the Kolban's book:

When the ESP32 starts to transmit over wireless, that can draw a lot of current which
can cause ripples in your power supply. You may also have other sensors or devices
connected to your supply as well. These fluctuations in the voltage can cause
problems. It is strongly recommended that you place a 10 micro farad capacitor
between +ve and -ve as close to your ESP32 as you can. This will provide a reservoir
of power to even out any transient ripples. This is one of those tips that you ignore at
your peril. Everything may work just fine without the capacitor ... until it doesn't or until
you start getting intermittent problems and are at a loss to explain them. Let me put it
this way, for the few cents it costs and the zero harm it does, why not?

How would you connect? the capacitor positive to the cable entering pin 3.3v and negative to the cable entering gnd, as close as possible to the board, right?