How can i connect 2Gbit SPI Flash Memory to ESP32?

WangXuedong

How can i connect 2Gbit SPI Flash Memory to ESP32?

Postby WangXuedong » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Hello, there
I need to connect large size SPI Flash (more than 2Gbit) to ESP32. A chip or module (ESP32-PICO-D4 or ESP32-WROOM modules ...) can be used. I am not sure what kind of ESP32 would be more suitable for my application.
I saw ESP32 can support up to 16Mbit external flash memory on CPU code area in it's datasheet.
I think a small size external SPI FLash should be used for storage of OS image. so i'd like to know whether i can use an additional SPI Flash memory for storage of user data.
My idea is to write or read to/from 2Gbit SPI Flash using ESP32's SPI peripheral interface.
If my idea is possible, Which pins can i use to interface this memory?
Thanks!

iot-bits.com

Re: How can i connect 2Gbit SPI Flash Memory to ESP32?

Postby iot-bits.com » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 am

The ESP-WROOM-32 schematic and datasheet would give you a good idea of how the flash is connected to the ESP32. A 2GBit is pretty much the same anyway.
I have connected a flash of that size on the VSPI port of ESP32-D2WD for a data recording application. Not sure if you can execute code off of that, 128 Mbit is supported, so I think 2GBit would work too with some hacking around if the communication format is the same.
- Pratik
:geek: Just another hobbyist and consultant

jumjum123

Postby jumjum123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 am

@iot-bits.com
could you please give some more information like:
- type of chip
- powersupply for the chip (1.8volt or ....)
- how to access this memory
- is it supported/used for malloc
Thanks in advance.
After getting BLE running in a first step, application is running out of memory (heap).
Since WROVER is not available in a simple breadboard version, I'm looking for an easy way to extend memory.

iot-bits.com

Postby iot-bits.com » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Wait a second - you need more memory because you are running out of heap? Then this will not help. Heap is in the RAM, and flash is not for that. You could use external RAM like Microchip SRAM (23A512, etc).
The RAM chip in WROVER module is not available for sale as far as I can see. And unfortunately, there is no support for any other SRAM chips either. You will have to do the mods yourself.
- Pratik

loboris

Postby loboris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm

iot-bits.com wrote:... The RAM chip in WROVER module is not available for sale as far as I can see. And unfortunately, there is no support for any other SRAM chips either ...
Lyontek LY68S3200 4MB psRAM works fine with ESP32.
It is used on AnalogLamb's ALB32-WROVER module.

iot-bits.com

Postby iot-bits.com » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 am

Ohh well, I do like the chip. But....
Would you really want to use that chip in a design at this point? I'd rather wait until it is available to buy from someone (on AliExpress or wherever) other than the manufacturer themselves.

I'll hit them up for 50 chips and see what they say! :)

Update: No response from them for 50 chips, so I guess you should not rely on them right now.
- Pratik