Differences in ESP32-DevkitC-V4 and ESP32-DevkitC-V2

SaiTejaManchukanti

Differences in ESP32-DevkitC-V4 and ESP32-DevkitC-V2

Postby SaiTejaManchukanti » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello,
We are currently developing ESP-32 based board for our application. We found two different resources namely ESP32-DevkitC-V4 and ESP32-DevkitC-V2 in link provided below.

https://www.espressif.com/en/support/do ... nce+design

And we observed following differences in these reference designs
In power Supply Module, AMS1117 is used in V4 and NCP1117 is used in V2.
In ESP32 Module, different passive components are used at 3.3V pin and Enable pin.
Can you please tell us pros/cons of both designs and suggest the best configuration from these two configurations ?

ESP_Angus

Re: Differences in ESP32-DevkitC-V4 and ESP32-DevkitC-V2

Postby ESP_Angus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 am

The main difference is that DevKitC V4 uses the newer (but pin compatible) CP2102N USB to serial chip, which supports a higher maximum baud rate. V2 has CP2102.

I believe all the other changes are cost/BoM optimisation rather than any functional fixes or improvements.

EDIT: The higher value of C9 at the EN pin may help the automatic reset circuit more reliably reset to the bootloader for flashing under some host configurations, particularly on Windows. However we didn't have any common reports of this problem on V2, with the smaller capacitor value.

In general, I'd suggest following the V4 design when possible. If you're designing an end product rather than a development board then you may want to consult the ESP32 Hardware Design Guidelines in addition or instead of the development board schematics.

SaiTejaManchukanti

Re: Differences in ESP32-DevkitC-V4 and ESP32-DevkitC-V2

Postby SaiTejaManchukanti » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:21 am

Hello , Thanks for your prompt response.
We are developing end product using ESP-WROOM-32 and I read ESP-32 hardware design guidelines as suggested by you. These guidelines are about developing ESP-32 based designs from scratch. But we are directly using ESP-WROOM-32 in our design.

1)Still are there any take away points which are to be considered from these guidelines?
2)In my application, I have to convert 8.4 V to 3.3 V for 150 milli amps load current. Can I use the voltage regulator used in v4 for my power specifications ?

Kindly help me in this regard.