WROVER-KIT: Programming Flash Problem

ed_mack

WROVER-KIT: Programming Flash Problem

Postby ed_mack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello,

We have recently purchased the Wrover kit, to begin development on a new project. I have completed the process of setting up build environment and building helloWorld project, exactly as described in "getting started" document. But I have not been able to successfully flash the binaries to the Wrover board. After build is completed, the connection to the board is never successfully made, this is the displayed message in response to running make:

$ make flash
Toolchain path: /home/ed/Project/esp/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
Toolchain version: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
Compiler version: 5.2.0
Python requirements from /home/ed/Project/esp/esp-idf/requirements.txt are satisfied.
Flashing binaries to serial port /dev/ttyUSB0 (app at offset 0x10000)...
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header
/home/ed/Project/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:62: recipe for target 'flash' failed
make: *** (flash) Error 2

Additional Notes:
a: config file is in the default supplied state, with no changes. I had previously tried to modify baud rate from 115200 to 9600 and I tried ttyUSB1, I have now put everything back to default state.
b: The Wrover preloaded RGB led app, runs successfully and I do see the terminal messages on putty terminal window
c: I am running everything on Ubuntu v17.10 64 bit machine.
d: I have manually put the Wrover board into boot mode, before running make flash. (held boot button, pressed/released EN button, release boot button, confirmed RGB leds stop blinking)
e: Installed Wrover jumpers: USB power, TxD/Rxd, Jtag(4 jumpers), RTS/CTS

Thanks for any help on what I can look at next.
Ed

permal

Re: WROVER-KIT: Programming Flash Problem

Postby permal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:06 pm

The Wrover kit provides two serial to USB ports. You're currently using USB0.

Code: Select all

Flashing binaries to serial port /dev/ttyUSB0 (app at offset 0x10000)...
Try USB1, chances are it is the one you want.

ed_mack

Postby ed_mack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm

I had tried this previously, and thought using ttyUSB1 behaved the same as using ttyUSB0. But I just ran again, using ttyUSB1, and realized that is not correct. When setup for ttyUSB1, it now successfully connects and collects some ESP information. It doesn't seem like it actually has written to Flash (ie when I reset board, default RGB led program still looks to be running).

Not sure why it "timed out waiting for packet header". I've looked at the Makefile.projbuild file starting at line 62, and will dig into that a bit. Not sure if anything else might be obvious, from message. I've attached displayed message below:

esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Flashing binaries to serial port /dev/ttyUSB1 (app at offset 0x10000)...
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB1
Connecting.....
Chip is ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
MAC: 3c:71:bf:47:d8:b8
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Auto-detected Flash size: 4MB
Flash params set to 0x0220
Compressed 23008 bytes to 13631...
Writing at 0x00001000... (100 %)
A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header
/home/ed/Project/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:62: recipe for target 'flash' failed
make: *** (flash} Error 2

Thanks for any help,
Ed

ed_mack

Postby ed_mack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I tried this again, but this time I didn't manually put the Wrover card, into boot mode. It now programmed Hello world project successfully. I have been able to verify successful flashing, using make monitor. Thank-you for the help. Ed