Local AP for slaves (in local network) + connection to external AP with internet: is this possible?

cengo2020

Local AP for slaves (in local network) + connection to external AP with internet: is this possible?

Postby cengo2020 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Dear community,

I have spent an hour searching for a satisfying answer but I could not find what I was looking for.
I have to built a the following network for my school project:

-> 1 x ESP32 (master)
-> 3 x ESP32 (slaves)
-> 1 x RasPi with LTE-Stick (internet connection)

-----

The aim is to enable the master-esp32 to gather data from the slaves and send the data periodically to a server on the internet using the raspi's AP. Is it possible that the master ESP32 serves as an AP to its slaves and simultaniously connects to the RasPI's AP in order to get the internet connection?

Only the master-device need to be connected to the internet over LTE. The slaves have to transmit small pieces of data to the master periodically. Unfortunately, I have read a lot of discussions that say using BLE and WiFi at the same time is very complicated and unstable. So, I am seeking for a simple and robust solution.

If I cannot find any satisfying solution with ESP32, I will ask my supervisor to allow me to use "AVR+nrf24" for the slaves and "RasPi+nrf24+LET-Stick" for the Master. That way, I would easily solve the problem, but he wants me to use minimal HW-diversity and prefers the ESP32-network, if possible. In future, CAN-bus connectivity will be needed for this network, so the ESP32 would be the cleaner solution, since it has a builtin CAN-controller. :roll:

Thank you in advance.

Cengo

ESP_Sprite

Re: Local AP for slaves (in local network) + connection to external AP with internet: is this possible?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:07 am

Sure. You can even do this without the master ESP32: Raspberry Pi uses internal WiFi to set up an access point running an internal LAN. ESP32s connect to that and send their data over TCP/UDP/... . Rasbperry Pi uses LTE stick to forward it to the Internets.