Working with ESP-IDF

schkillll

Working with ESP-IDF

Postby schkillll » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am

Is there any documentation for guys like me with no knowledge of ESP to use ESP-IDF and write custom programs?

ESP_Dazz

Re: Working with ESP-IDF

Postby ESP_Dazz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:12 pm

schkillll wrote: Is there any documentation for guys like me with no knowledge of ESP to use ESP-IDF and write custom programs?
There's no official documentation for complete beginners to ESP-IDF, as the amount of prerequisite knowledge required to use ESP-IDF is not exactly small. Could you provide more details regarding your background (e.g. have you programmed using FreeRTOS or any RTOS before? Have you worked with other micro-controllers etc). I can compile a reading list of sorts for you.

schkillll

Postby schkillll » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:35 pm

ESP_Dazz wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:12 pm
schkillll wrote: Is there any documentation for guys like me with no knowledge of ESP to use ESP-IDF and write custom programs?
There's no official documentation for complete beginners to ESP-IDF, as the amount of prerequisite knowledge required to use ESP-IDF is not exactly small. Could you provide more details regarding your background (e.g. have you programmed using FreeRTOS or any RTOS before? Have you worked with other micro-controllers etc). I can compile a reading list of sorts for you.
I have coded before using python. But nothing related to micro-controllers or FreeRTOS or RTOS. This will be my first project of this sort.

And what i need is contol a servo motor by using esp32's pairing event. Like when a person pair's to esp Bluetooth using hardcoded passcode, the servo motor rotates.

I did found, how to hardcode the bluetooth password in the below link, but cant figure out where to start and how to start.
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ap_bt.html

ESP_Dazz

Postby ESP_Dazz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Here's a list of steps/readings I suggest you do:

1. First thing to do is to get a development board and follow the getting started guide. This should guide you through installing all the tools required to compile and flash programs for an ESP32. At the end of the guide, you should be able to flash the Hello World.

If you're not already familiar with the basics Git (e.g. cloning a repo, checking out a particular branch or release), it may also be a good idea the basics of Git.

2. A large part of ESP-IDF is built on top of FreeRTOS, therefore learning the basics of FreeRTOS is a must. There's the Mastering FreeRTOS book if you want a beginner friendly introduction to FreeRTOS. At minimum, you should aim to understand what FreeRTOS tasks are, how FreeRTOS schedules tasks, and how tasks can communicate with each other (e.g. Queues and semaphores). Try modifying the Hello World example in ESP-IDF to run multiple tasks and inter-communicate.

To control a servo motor via a bluetooth pairing, I would split this into two parts

3. Controlling the servo motors. Most servos are controlled using a PWM, so I suggest you take a look at the LED PWM example (docs here), and the MCPWM examples (docs here)

4. For bluetooth pairing, it depends on whether you plan to use BT classic or BLE. But a numerous examples demonstrate the pairing process (refer to these search results).

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 pm