Will BLE provisioning with the NimBLE stack be supported in ESP-IDF 3.3?

orjans

Will BLE provisioning with the NimBLE stack be supported in ESP-IDF 3.3?

Postby orjans » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi,

Are there any plans to support BLE provisioning with the NimBLE stack on the 3.3.x releases? It's a great feature that you support NimBLE in 3.3.1, as it makes our app much smaller, however, the BLE provisioning example does not compile when using the NimBLE stack.

The first error that occurs is this:

Code: Select all

/home/username/esp/esp-idf-v3.3.1/components/protocomm/include/transports/protocomm_ble.h:17:29: fatal error: esp_gap_ble_api.h: No such file or directory
so the protocomm_nimble component seems to be missing, however, I see that it is available in the 4.x releases.

ESP_Hrishi

Re: Will BLE provisioning with the NimBLE stack be supported in ESP-IDF 3.3?

Postby ESP_Hrishi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:15 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, no. There are no plans to support BLE provisioning with NimBLE in v3.3. Although, now that v4.0-rc has been released a couple of days back (and v4.0 should be out in the next few days), you can considering moving to it. This way, you would be able to use NimBLE in unified BLE provisioning.

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:21 pm

I would like to add my 5 cents.
v3.3 is LTS version and NimBLE is already added to v3.3, from users/programmers point of view v3.3 cant be fully considered LTS.

Yes, i understand fact that v3.3 is a finished version and LTS in this case mean only critical code and bugfixes will be implemented, but like i said, it is my 5 cents.

orjans

Postby orjans » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks for your reply. We'll look into migrating to v4.

Efisio

Postby Efisio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:12 pm

Hello

I'm having the same issue but I'm using PlatformIO, my guess is either manually install the library or add the path to an example which uses it.

I wish to avoid adding the header for each BLE project