Startup problem with example/blink

qtmohr

Startup problem with example/blink

Postby qtmohr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi,

Today I installed espressif/esp-idf master and release-v-4.2 and had the same problem that the example/blink did not build.

I run Linux / OPenSuse Tumbleweed. I installed all necessary prerequisites, unzipped esp-idf into ~/esp/esp-idf.
I then ran ./install.sh which finished with the message that I can now run . ./export.sh, which I did.
I then copied the esp/esp-idf/examples/blink to esp/blink, cd into this directory and run:
idf.py build

This leads to the error message:
-- Building ESP-IDF components for target esp32
Loading defaults file /home/tmohr/esp/blink/sdkconfig.defaults...
CMake Error at /home/tmohr/esp/esp-idf-release-v4.2/tools/cmake/component.cmake:302 (message):
Include directory
'/home/tmohr/esp/esp-idf-release-v4.2/components/mbedtls/mbedtls/include'
is not a directory.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/tmohr/esp/esp-idf-release-v4.2/tools/cmake/component.cmake:470 (__component_add_include_dirs)
/home/tmohr/esp/esp-idf-release-v4.2/components/mbedtls/CMakeLists.txt:3 (idf_component_register)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/tmohr/esp/blink/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
cmake failed with exit code 1

The mentioned directory in fact does not exist.

I downloaded esp-idf as ZIP directly from github.

I did not find any help googling for this error, I must be doing something completely different than others. To my understanding I follow the help instructions exactly, I don't know why I get this error.

Has anybody got a hint for me?

Best regards
Torsten

ESP_Roland

Re: Startup problem with example/blink

Postby ESP_Roland » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 am

Hello Torsten,

How did you download the ZIP? If you clicked on "Clone or download" button than I guess you don't have the submodules downloaded.

If you download a ZIP from here https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/releases then it should contain the submodules as well.

If you want the latest master then please clone it and then run `git submodule update --init --recursive` to download the submodules as well.

Zeni241

Postby Zeni241 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:44 am

I am facing the same problem. I downloaded the zip file of IDF 4.3, after extraction its size is 141MB. Then I downloaded using command git clone -b v4.3 --recursive https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git. Its size is 919 MB :o :shock: . I don't know what purpose the zip file serve.

snappeas

Postby snappeas » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I had this same problem today (I'm assuming you're also on Windows (10)). For some reason the mbedtls/mbedtls folder won't download because it is branched in the github.

The solution is to delete your current esp-idf folder and .espressif folder and use the ESP-IDF Tools Installer. https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... x.html#id1

Hopefully that works for you,

Chris