Problems installing IDF 4.1

ndjurov

Problems installing IDF 4.1

Postby ndjurov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi,

I would like to ask for some help with installation of ESP-IDF 4.1. So far, I've been successfully using Visual Code with ESP-IDF 3.3 and ESP-IDF Extension. However, I want to try working with NimBLE and since it was not supported in 3.3, so I tried to install ESP-IDF ver. 4.1.
I have several issues:
I followed the instructions from Espressif web site and installed IDF using Windows ESP-IDF Tools Installer. I selected a new folder for this installation and just renamed the old ESP folder to make sure it won't be used anywhere. The final step of this installation is setting some environment variables and in the end I got a message that everything is ready to build a projects. However, Expressif Visual Code extension didn't like it.
- First problem with the extension - it is not showing Onboarding screen on startup, although it is set to show it. Re-installing the extension didn’t help. How to bring it back so I don’t have to do F1/search every time?
- Second - the last page - "Verify ESP-IDF Tools" is still showing me the old directory in the path to tools. I reinstalled the extension making sure that extension folder in the .vscode is removed. It was still giving me the old folder as a path although I made sure it is not set in the Path variable. Where is it getting this old path from? I cleaned the Path env. variable of all the IDF tool paths before starting the installation.
-Third - this same page asks me every time to provide a complete path to ESP-IDF virtual environment python executable. How to fix this?
- Fourth - In this last page - after manually changing the path to the python executable, providing a new path to all the tools and providing a new path to openocd\scripts and clicking on "Click here to check tools exist", the extension found all the tools, said that all requirements from the IDF\requirements.txt are satisfied, but complained that requirements from esp_debug_adapter\requirements.txt are not satisfied. It tells me that a there is a missing package and to run IDF\install.bat, which I did, but the output from this script showed me that all requirements are already satisfied. In the end, the script only replaced already existing esp-windows-curses-0.1 with the same one.
I tried reinstalling everything with the same result.
Would it help to reinstall everything using the VSCode Extension?
Thank you in advance.

rfleming

Re: Problems installing IDF 4.1

Postby rfleming » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:19 pm

I can only comment on the final point about ncurses. I don't have a solution for this but my work around was to comment out this line in the requirements file. Once done the tools work fine and you get no more complaints.

ndjurov

Re: Problems installing IDF 4.1

Postby ndjurov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 pm

Thank you very much for your response,

I thought I should try to install everything from the Espressif extension. I deleted everything I already had and did a fresh install from the VS Code extension. It failed extracting the idf-exe tool, complaining about it's checksum. Tried twice - didn't work, so I'm just trying again to use the esp-idf setup tool.
I started wondering whether it's possible to do this installation without any complications.
Thanks again.