Can't connect ESP32 to hostapd Access Point on Raspberry Pi (but it works with phone)

RichPiano

Can't connect ESP32 to hostapd Access Point on Raspberry Pi (but it works with phone)

Postby RichPiano » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:26 pm

I have the following problem:

I'm using the default wifi "station" example from esp-idf. Whenever I try to connect to my hostapd access point on my Raspberry Pi, it casts the following error message:

Code: Select all

I (4914) wifi station: retry to connect to the AP
I (4914) wifi station: connect to the AP fail
I (6954) wifi station: retry to connect to the AP
I (6954) wifi station: connect to the AP fail
I (9004) wifi station: retry to connect to the AP
I (9004) wifi station: connect to the AP fail
I (11054) wifi station: retry to connect to the AP
I (11054) wifi station: connect to the AP fail
And it will eventually say that a connection was not possible.

HOWEVER: The ESP32 connects flawlessly with my wifi-router!

And strangely enough, the access point seems to work as well, just not for the ESP32. I can connect to it with my phone and laptop just fine (I can even access internet through NAT).

This is my hostapd.conf

Code: Select all

river=nl80211
ssid=someSSID
country_code=CH
hw_mode=g
channel=6
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=somePWD
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=0
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=0
(I have enabled verbose logging to syslog and stdout in the hopes that it will log incoming failed connections, but it doesn't)

What am I doing wrong?

RichPiano

Re: Can't connect ESP32 to hostapd Access Point on Raspberry Pi (but it works with phone)

Postby RichPiano » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

The problem was that the raspi was adapting to the local network, which was using the 5 GHz band at the time. hostapd will use the same channel for the AP as wpa_supplicant does, even if the configuration in hostapd.conf says different.

I solved the problem by tuning the raspi into a 2.4 GHz network. I'm also experimenting with setting the scan frequencies in wpa_supplicant itself, so it only connects to the 2.4 Ghz band, but I'm not done testing yet.