Does IDF 2.4.1 Nimble port support whitelisting?

emalinen

Does IDF 2.4.1 Nimble port support whitelisting?

Postby emalinen » Tue May 18, 2021 11:27 am

Hi! I am trying to implement a pairing mode, where holding a single button down would switch device to a state where it accepts new mobile apps to pair and bond. In normal mode only previously bonded devices should be able to connect and control the device. I'm not too concerned about data security in this application, but I do want to prevent for example neighbours taking control of the device. Device does not have any kind of display or out of band channels to implement authenticated connection. User interface consists of four buttons and a few led lights.

I could use for example numeric comparison method for pairing, where passkey would be automatically accepted in pairing mode, but the mobile OS would probably show user a passkey and ask if it is correct or not. I'm not a mobile developer, but looks like it is not an easy task to accept passkey automatically without showing it to the user.

Probably best way to solve this problem would be saving connected devices to whitelist in pairing mode so only those on the list could connect in normal mode. Problem is that I can't find any information or examples how to use Nimble's whitelist. Is this feature even ported on the ESP32? Bluedroid does have at least some kind of documentation, but it does not work well with Protocomm for some reason ("format mismatch" warning and can't connect).