How to get the actual flash size

Reifircax

How to get the actual flash size

Postby Reifircax » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello,

I'm using ESP-IDF v3.3 and i need to get the actual flash size because i have 2 different boards, some with 4MB flash and others with 8MB.
I tried some API functions but none of them really helped me
spi_flash_get_chip_size() only return the size configured in the menuconfig (8MB in my case).
If I try to read the flash memory with spi_flash_read() at the address 0x7F0000, for example (which is outside 4MB), it doesn't return me any error on the board with 4MB. But 0x7F0000 shouldn't be able to be readable as long a it is outside memory, isn't it ?.
So i tried erasing the sector 1023 with spi_flash_erase_sector() on the 4MB board, it succeeded as it should. Then i tried to erase the sector 2047 and it failed, as it should.
For the moment the only way to check if my board is a 4MB or a 8MB is to erase a sector which shouldn't exist on the 4MB board, but i think it's really risky.
It must exist another way to get the actual flash size because esptool.py manage to do it.

Thanks for your help

Reifircax

Re: How to get the actual flash size

Postby Reifircax » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 am

up

Victoria Nope

Re: How to get the actual flash size

Postby Victoria Nope » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:09 am

Reifircax wrote: If I try to read the flash memory with spi_flash_read() at the address 0x7F0000, for example (which is outside 4MB), it doesn't return me any error on the board with 4MB. But 0x7F0000 shouldn't be able to be readable as long a it is outside memory, isn't it ?.

Work with partition table API instead.