Is esp_camera part of ESP-IDF or just part of ESP_Arduino?

zliudr

Is esp_camera part of ESP-IDF or just part of ESP_Arduino?

Postby zliudr » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:11 pm

I'm used to developing code on ESP-IDF and I really like RTOS. I know I can do RTOS on arduino but that requires some learning (maybe lots of transcoding from IDF to Arduino).

I'm looking at ESP32CAM modules that I can only find code written for Arduino IDE. I wonder if the esp_camera.h and related libraries are available as part of IDF. Looked into my 4.3 beta1 IDF and couldn't find esp_camera.h

Can someone tell me if the camera functions are entirely written for Arduino IDE? Thanks.

Victoria Nope

Re: Is esp_camera part of ESP-IDF or just part of ESP_Arduino?

Postby Victoria Nope » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:28 pm

You are looking for the ESP32 Camera Driver.

zliudr

Re: Is esp_camera part of ESP-IDF or just part of ESP_Arduino?

Postby zliudr » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 am

Excellent! Thanks for the help! So I guess this is not part of ESP-IDF but still under Espressif.
I feel much better knowing espressif owns this repo. They're not industry giant but has put in some impressive efforts on software support.

I'm going to look at whether I can rotate images captured by free buffers function. Just throwing a question here. I think the OV2640.getfb() gets a frame buffer and it contains a complete .jpeg image that I can just save to sd card. My question is, does the camera module does the jpeg encoding or is the esp_camera library does it?

If I find an answer, I'll post here in case others come across this post.