Getting stuck when trying to flash

BarrettGaertner

Getting stuck when trying to flash

Postby BarrettGaertner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:44 pm

[READ EDIT]

Howdy,

I'm having trouble flashing to the esp32-c3-devkitc-02.

After installing esp-idf with the offline installer (which was a re-install to try and prevent this and other errors) on Windows 8.1, I've been trying to run the "blink" example project to get acquainted with the board. Building seemed to work fine. Upon trying to flash the board, I receive this output:
[1/4] Performing build step for 'bootloader'
ninja: no work to do.
[1/2] cmd.exe /C "cd /D H:\Embedded\Espressif\ESP-IDF\components\esptool_py && H:\Embedded\Espressif\ESP-IDF-TOOLS\.espressif\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin\cmake.exe -D IDF_PATH="H:/Embedded/Espressif/ESP-IDF" -D SERIAL_TOOL="python H:/Embedded/Espressif/ESP-IDF/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py --chip esp32c3" -D SERIAL_TOOL_ARGS="--before=default_reset --after=hard_reset write_flash @flash_args" -D WORKING_DIRECTORY="H:/Embedded/Espressif/Eclipse-ESP/Workspace/blink/build" -P H:/Embedded/Espressif/ESP-IDF/components/esptool_py/run_serial_tool.cmake"
After this, the program seems to hang up and will stay on that command indefinitely. I also cannot exit the command with ctrl+c if I'm in the CMD, and have to close the CMD altogether to get it to stop (though I can terminate it if I use eclipse). I don't remember everything I've tried, but I have:
  • Tried both Eclipse and ESP-IDF 4.3 CMD
  • Before building, set the target to the esp32c3 through the idf.py command in the CMD and through the ESP Target > IDF Target window in eclipse
  • Before/upon flashing, specified the serial port as COM4
  • Tried moving the blink directory up a few levels (in case it was an issue with the length of the directory name)
  • Re-built blink (many, many times)
  • Tried changing the SPI flash rate from 80 to 40 MHz (something that worked for someone else on a different ESP)
  • Run ESP-IDF CMD as administrator (in case there was some permissions issue)
Since the program just freezes with no error message, I'm at a loss for how to try and fix this. I'm also pretty new at this (currently a student), so don't rule out any mistakes on the basis that a more experienced developer wouldn't have made them.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:

After digging through countless posts, tutorials, etc., I found the problem. Apparently the drivers for the USB to UART bridge did not properly install as they should have when the devkit was first plugged in. I manually installed the Windows 8.1 CP210x drivers (the board has a CP2102n) and this fixed the problem.

Now I am running into an issue getting the LED to blink, almost identical to this thread. I've changed the blink example to use GPIO8, which should be correct for my devkit, but the blue LED still does not turn on and off. Like the linked thread, the blue LED was on until I flashed my own code. After this, the LED did not turn off while the code was running, but after I later unplugged the board and plugged it back in, the LED was off and will now not turn on. If anyone has any advice on this issue for my kit and setup, it would be very much appreciated.