Programming ESP32-C3 with ESP-Prog

Voltmin

Programming ESP32-C3 with ESP-Prog

Postby Voltmin » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:41 pm

Hello,

Background: I had just recently gotten the ESP-Prog to program a PCB I made with the ESP32-C3-MINI-1-H4, however I wasn't lucky with it. I decided to see if I can get the ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1 working with the ESP-Prog before I order a new PCB, but I am having trouble doing that too. I have the DevKit on a breadboard and connected jumper wires from the Program header (6-pin 2.54mm) on ESP-Prog to the respective pins on the DevKit and I seem to be getting an error that I haven't been able to debug.

Error: A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32-C3: Download mode successfully detected, but getting no sync reply: The serial TX path seems to be down.

Troubleshooting: I have tried swapping wire for the TX as it is an intuitive solution, but the wire does not seem to be what is causing the issue. I have played around with it a bit more with no luck. My pins seem to be connected correctly, however I may have the wrong info.

Questions: Has anyone successfully used the ESP-Prog to flash the ESP32-C3 chip? If so, how do you have it set up and configured? Could OpenOCD be a possible reason for my errors? Are there any known solutions to this error? Is it possible to flash with the JTAG pins?

There is not much on the particular error out there, so I am curious to see if I could get help.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Programming ESP32-C3 with ESP-Prog

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:47 am

My guess would be that there's already an USB-serial chip on the DevkitC that interferes with your Tx path (effectively 'overriding' the esp-prog).