Not able to connect to ESP32 as a wifi softAP

HoldMyBeer

Not able to connect to ESP32 as a wifi softAP

Postby HoldMyBeer » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:43 pm

I am using the ESP32-WROOM-32 MCU and have been going through the examples. I was running the wifi as a softAP example. It was running and from my phone, I connected to the wifi but with no internet. When I typed in the IP address in my browser to check whether any configuration is to be done, the page couldn't be loaded.
Is there anything I have to do to also get internet? I have directly used the softAP example, no changes. The example is in examples/wifi/getting-started/softAP. Help me out pls. Thank you.

BotondColop

Re: Not able to connect to ESP32 as a wifi softAP

Postby BotondColop » Wed May 11, 2022 2:29 pm

If you are connected with your phone to the esp32 over WiFi, the phone will be send all of the request to esp. ESP has no internet, the device is only an access point without internet. You can communicate with your esp if you do some fancy http site on it.

- With a new phone you are able to connect to wifi and if there is no internet in this ap, the phone connecting back to lte data.
- You can do an AP with your phone/router, and connect with the esp to this -> In this case you will have still internet and you can communicate over ip with your esp board. (STA Mode)

The last option, unforchunetly esp not support this. (I hope in the future will support it) - WiFi Direct connection, you will have internet (LTE/WiFi) and you can communicate with the board too.