WiFi debug log in IDF 4.4.x ?

RalphD

WiFi debug log in IDF 4.4.x ?

Postby RalphD » Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 pm

How to enable WiFi debug log ? it does not appear in menuconfig using Eclipse IDE

mbratch

Re: WiFi debug log in IDF 4.4.x ?

Postby mbratch » Tue May 17, 2022 1:18 am

RalphD wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 pm
How to enable WiFi debug log ? it does not appear in menuconfig using Eclipse IDE
Wifi debug is included with other debug information in 4.4.x I believe. It's not a separate option as of later ESP-IDF versions. You'll just need to increase log level to get more of it. You can also still set:

Component config --> Supplicant --> [*] Print debug messages from WPA Supplicant
Last edited by mbratch on Tue May 17, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 am

In earlier versions has been a dedicated debug option under WiFi. I just want to know if this debug level is now included in the general logging. It seems like and thanks for pointing me to the supplicant menu.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Tue May 17, 2022 12:34 pm

Yes, earlier versions of ESP-IDF had separate wifi logging enable in the config.

I don't think wifi logging has been reduced. You just need to enable logging level as desired, and possibly some of the WPA supplicant logging if you're trying to diagnose wifi issue. Have you tried it and determined that there's insufficient wifi logging?

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Tue May 17, 2022 1:35 pm

yes, and it reports a beacon time out and reconnects after 10+ trials. However that is very deep in the WiFi stack and FCC related so if there is no log on this deep level provided, no chance to nail that down as a user. Remember, FCC approval requires to use the same binary and only this binary on this device passes approval. I don't know how Espressif handles this here and anyone has access to the source. Haven't gone into it yet.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Tue May 17, 2022 7:03 pm

RalphD wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:35 pm
yes, and it reports a beacon time out and reconnects after 10+ trials. However that is very deep in the WiFi stack and FCC related so if there is no log on this deep level provided, no chance to nail that down as a user. Remember, FCC approval requires to use the same binary and only this binary on this device passes approval.
Indeed. I don't know if the maximum verbosity setting for logging provides what you need. That said, it's unclear then whether the prior wifi-specific logging would have, either.