Failed to resolve component 'openthread' when building matter example application

susafesymbiot

Failed to resolve component 'openthread' when building matter example application

Postby susafesymbiot » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:34 pm

Hello,
I would like to build ESP32 matter application to my ESP32 device.
From what I've seen, Matter is not supported yet as part of the ESP-IDF and requires a separate project under the CHIP github.
First I made sure I have a working connectedhomeip environment by building it using the connectedhomeip tools.Then I followed the instructions to build the matter application for ESP32 here: https://github.com/project-chip/connect ... /README.md
Successfully executed all the steps until I try to run idf.py set-target esp32 (from connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32)
I get an error message: Failed to resolve component 'openthread' see full log below.

I am not sure why openthread is even required, given that the ESP32 does not have the radio to support it. Could it be environment configuration issue?

Appreciate any help,
Thanks in advance

ohad@HomeStudio:~/Android/connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32$ idf.py set-target esp32
Adding "set-target"'s dependency "fullclean" to list of commands with default set of options.
Executing action: fullclean
Build directory '/home/ohad/Android/connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32/build' not found. Nothing to clean.
Executing action: set-target
Set Target to: esp32, new sdkconfig created. Existing sdkconfig renamed to sdkconfig.old.
Running cmake in directory /home/ohad/Android/connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32/build
Executing "cmake -G Ninja -DPYTHON_DEPS_CHECKED=1 -DESP_PLATFORM=1 -DIDF_TARGET=esp32 -DCCACHE_ENABLE=0 /home/ohad/Android/connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32"...
-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git (found version "2.25.1")
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.4.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.4.0
-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU
-- Found assembler: /home/ohad/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working C compiler: /home/ohad/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc - skipped
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /home/ohad/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-g++ - skipped
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Building ESP-IDF components for target esp32
-- Found Python3: /home/ohad/Android/connectedhomeip/.environment/pigweed-venv/bin/python3 (found version "3.8.10") found components: Interpreter
CMake Error at /home/ohad/tools/esp-idf/tools/cmake/build.cmake:189 (message):
Failed to resolve component 'openthread'.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/ohad/tools/esp-idf/tools/cmake/build.cmake:220 (__build_resolve_and_add_req)
/home/ohad/tools/esp-idf/tools/cmake/build.cmake:435 (__build_expand_requirements)
/home/ohad/tools/esp-idf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:396 (idf_build_process)
CMakeLists.txt:34 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/ohad/Android/connectedhomeip/examples/all-clusters-app/esp32/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
cmake failed with exit code 1

susafesymbiot

Re: Failed to resolve component 'openthread' when building matter example application

Postby susafesymbiot » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 am

I know Matter is relatively new, so maybe not a lot of knowledge in the forum... Appreciate anyone that can propose a direction here!

Thanks!

ESP_ICY

Re: Failed to resolve component 'openthread' when building matter example application

Postby ESP_ICY » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am

You can try to update the esp-idf version to v4.4.1, then build it again.

Swapna

Postby Swapna » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi,

I am facing the same issue when trying to build the all-clusters-app matter project for esp32.
Development kit that I have is ESP32-DevkitC_V4.

Have followed all the steps from the links:
https://blog.espressif.com/announcing-m ... 164316c0e3
https://github.com/project-chip/connect ... /README.md

Able to successfully complete the steps mentioned below
$ source ./scripts/bootstrap.sh
$ source ./scripts/activate.sh

Once I complete the above steps next step is to set the target to esp32.
$ idf.py set-target esp32

However, When I run the command following command to set the target to esp32:
idf.py set-target esp32 , I get the error: Failed to resolve component ‘openthread’
Please see attachment snapshot of the error - Failed_to_resolve_component_openthread.png.

Please let me know how to resolve the above error .

Also everytime I run the command , I have to manually delete the build folder , it doesnot automatically clean the folder.
Please see error - build_dir_need_to_delete_manually.png
Once i delete the build folder manually, the build starts but it gives error - Failed to resolve component ‘openthread.

Please let me know how to resolve the error Failed to resolve component ‘openthread', so that I can set the target and build the code.
Would really appreciate your quick help on this.

Best Regards,
Swapna.
Attachments
build_dir_need_to_delete_manually.png
build_dir_need_to_delete_manually
build_dir_need_to_delete_manually.png (35.64 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Failed_to_resolve_component_openthread.png
Failed_to_resolve_component_openthread
Failed_to_resolve_component_openthread.png (146.36 KiB) Viewed 1829 times