[SOLVED] Using the phy partition

filo_gr

[SOLVED] Using the phy partition

Postby filo_gr » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am

Hi there, in my project there is a phy_init partition inside my custom partition table.
This is the partition table:

Code: Select all

# Name,     Type,   SubType,    Offset,     Size,       Flags
nvs,        data,   nvs,        0x9000,     0x6000,
phy_init,   data,   phy,        0xF000,     0x1000,
ota_0,      app,    ota_0,      0x10000,    0x180000,
ota_1,      app,    ota_1,      0x190000,   0x180000,
storage,    data,   spiffs,     0x310000,   0xEE000,
otadata,    data,   ota,        0x3FE000,   0x2000,
I took this table from an example and I changed it depending on the requirements.

Today I noticed that, inside the Menuconfig, the option Use a partition to store PHY init data is unchecked...

Now my question is: I'm pretty sure I made a mistake not enabling it because I think that PHY init data is now stored in the NVS partition.

What happens if I choose to check it? It could create problems inside a stable working software with a stable Wi-Fi network used for various purposes?

Thank you.
Last edited by filo_gr on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filippo

gtjoseph

Re: Using the phy partition

Postby gtjoseph » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Only the PHY calibration data is stored in NVS. The PHY init data can be stored in either the "phy" partition or embedded into the application binary. The phy partition is created by default so it's a little confusing as to why the default is to embed the data in the app binary. Anyway, I guess it's really just a tradeoff as to whether you want a slightly larger application binary or a separate partition.

I just tried switching back and forth between app and partition and there didn't seem to be any difference.

filo_gr

Re: Using the phy partition

Postby filo_gr » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:32 pm

gtjoseph wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 pm
Only the PHY calibration data is stored in NVS. The PHY init data can be stored in either the "phy" partition or embedded into the application binary. The phy partition is created by default so it's a little confusing as to why the default is to embed the data in the app binary. Anyway, I guess it's really just a tradeoff as to whether you want a slightly larger application binary or a separate partition.

I just tried switching back and forth between app and partition and there didn't seem to be any difference.
I didn't try to program the ESP32 but I confirm what you said: checking the option creates a new binary file used to program the partition.
I can't do this now, because my product can't be changed now... but good to know that there is this strange behavior as a default option :?
Filippo