idf.py does not execute esptool in one project

juminal

idf.py does not execute esptool in one project

Postby juminal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:53 am

I'm currently trying to find a very odd problem with ESP-IDF 4.4.3.

In one single (very simple) project idf.py doesn't seem to work properly. When I run

Code: Select all

idf.py -p {port} flash
everything runs through, but in the end the chip isn't being flashed. The last step that happens is cd'ing into esptool_py and running cmake with esp-idf/components/esptool_py/run_serial_tool.cmake.

In my other projects the following step would be actually executing esptool.py.
I tried pretty much all I know. I followed through the cmake files and in all cases that would not execute I would get a message in the console, which I'm not.

I even copied the sdkconfig from the working project and compared the CMakeLists and removed everything different from the non working project. But no luck.

Does anyone have and idea or a hint where I could find new clues?

ESP_Roland

Re: idf.py does not execute esptool in one project

Postby ESP_Roland » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 am

Could you please share the full output of "idf.py flash"?

juminal

Postby juminal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 pm

ESP_Roland wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 am
Could you please share the full output of "idf.py flash"?

Code: Select all

:SMS MZ jw$ idf.py -p /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART flash                                                                                                                                          
Executing action: flash
Running ninja in directory 'Hardware/Firmware/Projekte/SMS MZ/build'
Executing "ninja flash"...
[1/5] cd "Hardware/Firmware/Projekte/SMS MZ/build/esp-idf/esptool_py" && /Use...table/partition-table.bin Hardware/Firmware/Projekte/SMS\ MZ/build/SMS_MZ.bin
SMS_MZ.bin binary size 0xb0740 bytes. Smallest app partition is 0x100000 bytes. 0x4f8c0 bytes (31%) free.
[2/5] Performing build step for 'bootloader'                                                                                                                                                             
[1/1] cd "Hardware/Firmware/Projekte/SMS MZ/build/bootloader/esp-idf/esptool_py" && Hardware/ESP/idf-tools/python_env/idf4.4_py3.10_env/bin/python Hardware/ESP/esp-idf/components/partition_table/check_sizes.py --offset 0x8000 bootloader 0x1000 Hardware/Firmware/Projekte/SMS\ MZ/build/bootloader/bootloader.bin
Bootloader binary size 0x6350 bytes. 0xcb0 bytes (11%) free.
[4/5] cd Hardware/ESP/esp-idf/components/esptool_py && /usr/local/Cellar/cmak...MZ/build" -P Hardware/ESP/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/run_serial_tool.cmake
Done

ESP_Roland

Postby ESP_Roland » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 am

Yes, it looks very strange. Have you tried to run "idf.py fullclean" and "idf.py build" before "idf.py flash"?

juminal

Postby juminal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Yes I did, I even manually deleted the entire build directory, copied all CMakeLists and the sdkconfig over with no success.

Strange indeed. Especially since the project is absolutely barebones.
I could of course copy my sources to a new project. But how often will I have to do that?

juminal

Postby juminal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 pm

And I just found the issue. There was a whitespace in my project path.
That's a very mean bug right there