Factory App.

ketan vadodariya

Factory App.

Postby ketan vadodariya » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:39 am

Hi,

I am planning to device Factory Application for ESP32S3 Target. Currently My main application has a feature upgrade new framework from the main application. So currently it's work fine but I have different plant for the production level.

Idea.
Firstly I will upload the factory application via physical access. (UART), later device will boot-up with factory application since there is no main application installed on ota partition. so device will be stay in factory application. Once upgradation happen from factory application and device will have a valid running partition then device start the main application.

Here Question.
When we flashed the Framework through the UART, At which partition of memory, device bootloader will copy the Framework ?
What would be partition table for Factory Application and Main Application ?
Once Factory Application load the framework through the ota process, does device automatic boot-up with main application. ?
How can we tell the device that this partition should load once ROM and second stage bootloader process over. ?

dmitrij999

Re: Factory App.

Postby dmitrij999 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:06 pm

1) The ESP-IDF just compiles your code with libs used by you from the framework into monolithic app binary, as well, compiles the 2nd stage bootloader apart. The build configuration can be changed in menuconfig
2) As well, you can change the bootloader size, which always stands in the beginning of the flash memory and no need to include this into partition table. You can choose partition table preset in menuconfig or point the path of you custom partition table. See this to check out how to organize this.
3) The active app partition info is stored into ota_data partition. See this for details

Why you need to flash the factory app if you can flash the full app to ota0 partition without factory app partition and it will work?

ketan vadodariya

Re: Factory App.

Postby ketan vadodariya » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

we are in production stage now so we are planning to have factory app inside the esp32 which will load the ota. so all the custom board will go with factory application and we have to do some testing like hardware testing so those all thing want to keep in factory application.

I am not getting here your answer. I want to keep two separate framework application for production. so one is main application and another one is factory app or testing framework.

does I have to build two separate IDF Project for this ?