Need help for Ethernet into ESP32 IDF 2.1 with boot flash memory as external flash memory

ESP_igrr

Re: Need help for Ethernet into ESP32 IDF 2.1 with boot flash memory as external flash memory

Postby ESP_igrr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:16 pm

So, I don't think any error into Hardware Side as it was working fine with Internal Flash Memory with same Hardware.
At the moment I'm not suggesting there is issue on hardware side.

I am just suggesting check of following things to help analysis this problem:

1) did power enable input of the PHY gets a valid signal
2) did transactions on SMI interface are well-formed.

rahul.b.patel

Re: Need help for Ethernet into ESP32 IDF 2.1 with boot flash memory as external flash memory

Postby rahul.b.patel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:53 am

Hi ESP_igrr,
Yes, PHY chip is enabled and also getting 50MHz clock on GPIO0 pin.

Additionally when I give GPIO0 GND, then "Timed out waiting for PHY register 0x2 to have value 0x0007 (mask 0xffff). Current value 0xffff" error got stopped and EMAC starts with success.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:03 am

What is the pin used for flash WP signal?

Could you please try flashing the bootloader from IDF 3.0, and then flashing only application from IDF 2.1 (without overwriting the bootloader)?

rahul.b.patel

Postby rahul.b.patel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 am

ESP_igrr wrote:What is the pin used for flash WP signal?

Could you please try flashing the bootloader from IDF 3.0, and then flashing only application from IDF 2.1 (without overwriting the bootloader)?
Hi Ivan,
Bootloader from IDF3.0 works with application from IDF 2.1. Ethernet is now up and running. Need to see now what are the changes in IDF 3.0 makes it working.

Thanks.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:03 pm

rahul.b.patel wrote:
ESP_igrr wrote:What is the pin used for flash WP signal?

Hi Ivan,
Bootloader from IDF3.0 works with application from IDF 2.1. Ethernet is now up and running. Need to see now what are the changes in IDF 3.0 makes it working.

Thanks.
Hi Rahul and ESP_igrr,

It means if with ESP32 IDF 3.0 Bootloader and existing our ESP32 IDF 2.1 SDK Application our Ethernet issue has been resolved then there might be some changes into bootloader which we need to compare between ESP32 IDF 2.1 and ESP32 IDF 3.0 to make it working into existing ESP32 IDF 2.1 bootloader.

There might be some changes regarding external flash configurations with Ethernet to make it working.

Thanks ESP_igrr for your valuable support into this.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

rahul.b.patel

Postby rahul.b.patel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello,
Only newer esptool v2.1 used from IDFv3.0 into IDFv2.1 and the issue is resolved. Ethernet is working now.

Thanks.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 pm

rahul.b.patel wrote:Hello,
Only newer esptool v2.1 used from IDFv3.0 into IDFv2.1 and the issue is resolved. Ethernet is working now.

Thanks.
Hi Rahul,

Thanks for update.

Hi ESP_igrr,

I had checked on Github and found that latest esptool 2.3 stable release is available. So, Can we use that version with ESP32 IDF 2.1 SDK without any issue?

https://github.com/espressif/esptool/releases

Or we require ESP32 IDF 3.0 to use esptool version 2.3? Let me correct if i am wrong
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:11 am

Hi Ritesh,

I'm glad you found a fix for this issue. esptool v2.0.1 contains a fix for an issue with efuse pin remapping causing GPIO 0 being set as an output on boot. You said you were seeing a correct clock waveform on GPIO 0, but possibly this unnecessary mode change was causing the clock to be one cycle out of sync (or something like this).

You can update to either esptool v2.0.1 or any newer version up to and including v2.3, they should still work with IDF v2.1.

Angus

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am

ESP_Angus wrote:Hi Ritesh,

I'm glad you found a fix for this issue. esptool v2.0.1 contains a fix for an issue with efuse pin remapping causing GPIO 0 being set as an output on boot. You said you were seeing a correct clock waveform on GPIO 0, but possibly this unnecessary mode change was causing the clock to be one cycle out of sync (or something like this).

You can update to either esptool v2.0.1 or any newer version up to and including v2.3, they should still work with IDF v2.1.

Angus
Ok. Thanks for clarification.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati