StoreProhibited triggered by FreeRTOS

ESP_Sprite

Re: StoreProhibited triggered by FreeRTOS

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 am

Hmm, all I can advise you is to use an external, known good 5V power supply, with good cables going to the modules. As you've noticed, the chip can use a pretty large spike of power, and if your power line sags too much, this can lead to weirdnesses that are somewhat repeatable. If any, using a good 5V power supply gives you the nice feeling that that's not an issue.

timredfern

Postby timredfern » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:22 pm

To clarify, a brownout isn't the problem here.

To summarise:

The problem is that I see these storeProhibited/ loadProhibited/ wdt timeout errors triggered by FreeRTOS during the device loading phase, unless heap corruption detection is enabled, which somehow protects from this.

I see the errors whether running from USB or 5v power. However I did see a brownout a couple of times and plugging into 5v seems to stop this (only).

Can anyone imagine a mechanism where heap detection protects against a bug?

It seems consistent - although the FreeRTOS errors pop up like whack a mole when I change timing/ sequence of events in device setup, Heap corruption detection seems to stop ALL of them.

fly135

Postby fly135 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Have you tried running SDK example programs to see if they have the same failures?

The WROVER does have ext spiram. I mentioned that because I ran xtensa-esp32-elf-addr2line on one of your backtrace addresses. Of course your elf is different from mine and that could be a red herring.

Just for ref, the voltage on my computer usb reads 4.6v and was triggering the brown out on my wrover a lot on startup. I just disable the brown out and it worked fine.

John A