Serial Flashing factory and OTA

Autom8n

Serial Flashing factory and OTA

Postby Autom8n » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:41 pm

In our application, the memory is allocated to a factory(720K), OTA_0(1.7M), and OTA_1(1.7M) partitions. The app we are loading in the factory slot is designed to do basic operations and set up OTA updates from a mobile device. Our core functionality will reside in the app loaded in the larger OTA slots.

Our current method of getting the ESP32 up and going is to flash the bootloader, partition info, and factory binaries to memory. Next we do a OTA update from the mobile app. This method works and is OK for testing, but we are about to have 20K units to load. I haven't found information on how to flash the factory and OTA slots and have the ESP boot the OTA app not factory. I assume the OTA boot data could be flashed as well? Is there documentation that I'm overlooking on how to set this up?

luisonoff

Re: Serial Flashing factory and OTA

Postby luisonoff » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 am

+1
I am also interested in knowing this answer, maybe someone else can comment on this?
Autom8n, did you find a way to do it?

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm

You can use esp32 flash download tool which allows you to flash few esp32 boards at the same time with all partitions you need or https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t= ... 890#p29890

luisonoff

Postby luisonoff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:35 am

Thank you Chegewara!
I didn't know about this tool, very handy!
I wish it could also read flash contents into bin file, in order to get actual state of ota_data partition, etc. But as you mentioned I may be able to do everything using esptool.py