ESP32 Multicast UDP High losses (receiving)

KonradZ

ESP32 Multicast UDP High losses (receiving)

Postby KonradZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:32 am

Hello,

I'm developing device that have a UDP socket open only to receive broadcast packets on one port (7890 to be exact). The problem is that the data losses are high - around 90%. My test setup is:
  • ESP32 - connected to WiFi network with open UDP receing task (code belowe)
  • PC connected to the same netwer via LAN with UDP terminal set to brodacast to remote: 192.168.10.255:7890
  • Mobile phone connected to WiFi with UDP terminal set to brodacast to remote: 192.168.10.255:7890
When I send something from PC or mobile phone there is no data lossage between Mobile phone and PC but ESP32 receive around 10% of data that I transmit from both of senders. If I change from multicast to unicast on PC or Phone to send data to ESP32, it work without problem.

I know that UDP does not guarantee the delivery but 10% efficiency seems for me to be super low, especially when it seems that there is no problem with busy network because PC and mobile received the data all the time.

Do you have any suggestion to the code or some setting that can be changed in menu config ?
At the moment my application have only two tasks:
+WiFi Task that after connection is just waiting for event
+UDP Task that the code is below

Code: Select all

#define PORT_NUMBER 7890
#define BUFLEN 100

void udp_task(void *pvParameter)
{
	struct sockaddr_in clientAddress;
	struct sockaddr_in serverAddress;
	struct sockaddr_in si_other;
	unsigned int slen = sizeof(si_other);
	unsigned int recv_len;
	char buf[BUFLEN];
	int sock;

printf("UDP Task: Opening..\n");

int ret;
	ret = UDP_List_Open(&clientAddress, &serverAddress, &sock);

if(ret == 0)
	{
		printf("UDP Task: Open\n");
	}
	else
	{
		printf("UDP Task: Can't open\n");
	}

while(1)
    {
        memset(buf,0,100);

if ((recv_len = recvfrom(sock, buf, 100, 0, (struct sockaddr *) &si_other, &slen)) == -1)
        {
            printf("UDP error\n");
            break;
        }

sendto(sock, buf, recv_len, 0, (struct sockaddr *)&si_other, sizeof(si_other));

printf("UDP Task: Received packet from %s:%d\n", inet_ntoa(si_other.sin_addr), ntohs(si_other.sin_port));
        printf("UDP Task: Data: %s -- %d\n" , buf, recv_len); //recv_len sizeRead
    }

while(1)
	{
		vTaskDelay(100 / portTICK_RATE_MS);
	}
}

int UDP_List_Open(struct sockaddr_in* clientAddress, struct sockaddr_in* serverAddress, int* sock)
{
    // Create a socket that we will listen upon.
	*sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
	if (*sock < 0)
	{
		printf("UDP List Open: Socket error\n");
		return 1;
	}

// Bind our server socket to a port.
	serverAddress->sin_family = AF_INET;
	serverAddress->sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);//inet_addr("255.255.255.255");//
	serverAddress->sin_port = htons(PORT_NUMBER);
	int rc  = bind(*sock, serverAddress, sizeof(*serverAddress));
	if (rc < 0)
	{
		printf("UDP List Open: Bind error\n");
		return 2;
	}

return 0;
}

KonradZ

Re: ESP32 Multicast UDP High losses (receiving)

Postby KonradZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 am

Quick update:
Problem disappear when I don't initialize bluetooth. Sorry that I didn't mention previously about BT being initialized but I kept me initializing function from my normal program that have a lot more tasks (BT included) and totally forgot about this myself.

Anyway - do you think that there is some issue with sharing the resource or is it some physical interference ? I'm using ESP32-DevKitC that is on the breadboard, so no additional shielding is present.

ttlappalainen

Re: ESP32 Multicast UDP High losses (receiving)

Postby ttlappalainen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 am

I am having same problem. I do not use bluetooth.

I have 4 devices on network each broadcasting their own bare information to network every 10 sec. They also serve as WEB server with espasyncwebserver. I can see on laptop all broadcasts from each device, but on device it may be time to time 60 sec no broadcasts received. Does not seem to matter am I connected to device WEB or not.

For testing I bring the WiFi router to 2 m from devices so at least the signal should be good.

Any ideas?

Thanks!