Compilation fails after switching from Wroom to Wrover

Deouss

Compilation fails after switching from Wroom to Wrover

Postby Deouss » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am

I was working with simple project configured originally on Wroom module and it compiled and worked fine.
When I switched module to Wrover and plugged into usb then flashed it with fullclean option I got error - cpu start failed.
It took me some time to figure out that main_app section was not firedand esp was crashing
To resolve that I had to delete physically the build folder and sdkconfig files and run menuconfig again
So far all works fine but I cannot easily switch modules with same project.
Im not sure if there is any other solution

fly135

Re: Compilation fails after switching from Wroom to Wrover

Postby fly135 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:59 pm

What did you change in make menuconfig? That should be your first clue.

John A

Deouss

Postby Deouss » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Config is exactly same for both. Just changed the code and renamed some files.
Wrover seems to work a bit smoother and idf reports more ram

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:43 am

Deouss wrote:I was working with simple project configured originally on Wroom module and it compiled and worked fine.
When I switched module to Wrover and plugged into usb then flashed it with fullclean option I got error - cpu start failed.
It took me some time to figure out that main_app section was not firedand esp was crashing
To resolve that I had to delete physically the build folder and sdkconfig files and run menuconfig again
So far all works fine but I cannot easily switch modules with same project.
Im not sure if there is any other solution
Hi,

If you have tried it with cleaning it properly and again configuring it for ESP32-WROVER module then it should work without any issue as we have already did this type of module switching for our project as well.

So, I don't think that there is any compilation point of issue if you have just replaced module like from ESP-WROOM-32 to ESP32-WROVER module and vice versa.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

Deouss

Postby Deouss » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am

Yes you are right. What I meant - compilation fails to execute.
Project is compiling ok but it is not working for wrover and it needs reconfiguration and recompiling.

loboris

Postby loboris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Deouss wrote:Yes you are right. What I meant - compilation fails to execute.
Project is compiling ok but it is not working for wrover and it needs reconfiguration and recompiling.
I've never had any issue like this.
All applications I've built runs exactly the same on Wroom and Wrover based boards, no special configuration is needed for Wrover or Wroom.
Since it was enabled, I even build all my applications with psRAM enabled (→ Component config → ESP32-specific → Support for external, SPI-connected RAM & → Component config → ESP32-specific → SPI RAM config → Ignore PSRAM when not found).
The application runs on Wrover using external SPI-RAM and on Wroom without using it, without any issue.

The only difference between Wrover and Wroom modules is the existence of SPI-RAM, if you don't use it, they will behave the same.
Of course, you must not access GPIOs #16 & #17 on Wrover, as they are used by SPI-RAM.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:57 am

loboris wrote:
I've never had any issue like this.
All applications I've built runs exactly the same on Wroom and Wrover based boards, no special configuration is needed for Wrover or Wroom.
Since it was enabled, I even build all my applications with psRAM enabled (→ Component config → ESP32-specific → Support for external, SPI-connected RAM & → Component config → ESP32-specific → SPI RAM config → Ignore PSRAM when not found).
The application runs on Wrover using external SPI-RAM and on Wroom without using it, without any issue.

The only difference between Wrover and Wroom modules is the existence of SPI-RAM, if you don't use it, they will behave the same.
Of course, you must not access GPIOs #16 & #17 on Wrover, as they are used by SPI-RAM.
Hi Loboris,

Yes. You are also absolutely correct for that point as there is only change of SPI PSRAM which is additionally added into ESP32 WROVER module compare ESP32 WROOM Module. So, It should work straight forward on both boards with same application binary without any issue.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:00 am

Hi,

Would you please let us know which type of reconfiguration is required to work for that before compiling same application for WROVER module?

So that we can have idea like what can be possible cause to stop that working condition.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

Deouss

Postby Deouss » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am

Ritesh wrote: Would you please let us know which type of reconfiguration is required to work for that before compiling same application for WROVER module?

So that we can have idea like what can be possible cause to stop that working condition.
I changed the flash size from 2 to 4Mb. But I must add that I work under CMake environment - not Make so there might be some other issues not related to other Eclipse-driven environments.

fly135

Postby fly135 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:04 pm

What is your SPI speed? (40 or 80?). I found that 80 worked on my boards without ext ram, but didn't on boards with ext ram.

John A