ESP32 IDF on Atom.io - full integration w/ ESP32-IDF on one package.

The_YongGrand

ESP32 IDF on Atom.io - full integration w/ ESP32-IDF on one package.

Postby The_YongGrand » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Hello there,

As I'm typing this, the nearest IDE for the ESP32 is the Arduino IDE and the PlatformIO. However, for the PlatformIO, it is using an old version of the ESP32-IDF and the menuconfig is inaccessible, unless if you have to make a lot of modifications to the IDE (check the links on how I get around to doing it). I have done these with combination of some references from other places, and we are still missing one thing: project template generator.

https://hackaday.io/project/53259-deplo ... k-platform
https://hackaday.io/project/43374-esp32 ... rm/details

I admit that these are not begineer friendly, and I'm striving to make everything easier to deploy.

Without the project template generator that creates new project everytime user wants a new project, the template must be extracted, renamed and all the IDE modifications (JSON code for VSCODE) had to be copied inside. It is very tedious, and luckily I have already created a prototype to generate a new project automatically.

Besides that, I have compiled an all-in-one IDE using atom.io w/ ESP32-IDF and MSYS2 all inside the same folder so the installation will be very straightforward:
esp32-idf-compiler.PNG
esp32-idf-compiler.PNG (84.57 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
And of course, the Atom.io is supported by a few great plugins, one of them is the "flex-tool-bar" and the "build-tools".

For all the convenience, if we want to compile project, we just press the "hammer" button and it'll do all the job! Want menuconfig? Just press that little "tools" icon and it'll show up too! I'm still ironing out the "Terminal" one - it is a bit tricky there.

I found out that these ESP32 tutorials online have a bit too many steps - this leads to users losing interest and spending too much time to deploy the toolkit would put them off immediately. Anything more than 3 steps, they would lose a lot of interest. If only the IDE and the compiler is unified w/ the latest version of ESP32-IDF, the users will focus more on writing ESP32-based projects and not fumbling around with instructions on deploying.

Love to hear your feedback. Currently with my compilation, I managed to deploy my simple I2S project as quick as possible.

luisonoff

Re: ESP32 IDF on Atom.io - full integration w/ ESP32-IDF on one package.

Postby luisonoff » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:29 am

Hello,
Have you seen this other topic with tutorial?
https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6383

Why are you not using newer CMake? Seems that is going to be the default option very soon.
What is the difference between Atom.io and VSC?
I understand from your post that you made an all-in-one IDE based on Atom.io, available anywhere? Can we test it?

The_YongGrand

Re: ESP32 IDF on Atom.io - full integration w/ ESP32-IDF on one package.

Postby The_YongGrand » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

luisonoff wrote:Hello,
Have you seen this other topic with tutorial?
https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6383

Why are you not using newer CMake? Seems that is going to be the default option very soon.
What is the difference between Atom.io and VSC?
I understand from your post that you made an all-in-one IDE based on Atom.io, available anywhere? Can we test it?
Hello, thanks for the feedback! :) Yeah, I saw that CMake at the last minute - I'm thinking that I will also use the Cmake too later.

There are not a lot of differences between Atom.io and VSC. You can try both and see which one suits you too.

Yes, and I made an all-in-one IDE (plugins thanks to the respective developers) with Atom.io. Since I do not want to redeploy the tool over and over again (and also risk losing track of my progress) due to my current hard-disk crashing issue, this idea comes to me. Apart from that, I want to make it easier for many new users to approach ESP32 and the 32-bit world too. I worked with PIC32 and STM32 and the toughest things that they have are the toolchains.

For the IDE, it is still in the testing - I'm putting it up here once it is done. I still have something there to iron out in the meantime. The template generator is written in Python (thank goodness the ESP32-IDF contains a Python) to facilitate creating new projects without copying and renaming the folders.