ESP BLE Mesh v0.5 Beta has been released

Ritesh

Re: ESP BLE Mesh v0.5 Beta has been released

Postby Ritesh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:14 am

ESP_Island wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 am
Hi,

Thanks for providing details for that.

We have also started feasibility for Bluetooth into ESP32 for few of our projects in which WiFi and Bluetooth will be used as part of communication medium.

So, Would you please let me know below queries response regarding same?

- Up to how many nodes you have tried with this MESH Networking using BLE?
- What will be the average current consumption if you have connected multiple nodes?
- How network has been formed means like parent and child or like hope mechanism?
- Is there any critical issue to use BLE MESH current release so that we can plan accordingly?
- which ESP32 IDF version will be supported for that?

I will try to check it into next week and will ask few more questions based on our analysis.

What follows is my response to your questions, hope it helps you:
  • Up to how many nodes you have tried with this MESH Networking using BLE?
    * We have tried with 100 BLE devices;
    * Maybe this demo will help you make a first impression about how is "ESP32 BLE Mesh" going: Espressif Fast Provisioning using ESP BLE Mesh App .
  • What will be the average current consumption if you have connected multiple nodes?
    * BLE Mesh nodes need to stay on the scanning state all the time, so they are normally main powered (e.g., 220V power supply).
    * There is a special role "Low Power Node" in BLE Mesh which is designed for the ultra-low power sensors;
    * But some features are disabled for those LPN nodes, such as relay feature, proxy feature, friend feature, etc.
    * I think ESP32 is not suitable for the "ultra-low power" case compared to some other BLE-Only chips.
  • How network has been formed means like parent and child or like hope mechanism?
    * BLE Mesh is a "Flooding Mesh" and it requires neither "routing table" nor "parent-child". That means, all the devices are broadcasting data and also listening to the broadcasting from the nearby devices.
    * I think the following article will help you have a basic knowledge about "BLE Mesh Networking": An Intro to Bluetooth Mesh
  • Is there any critical issue to use BLE MESH current release so that we can plan accordingly?
    * We have fixed most of the critical issues that we have encountered during our test;
    * I think the main "critical issue" is that we need more test about our BLE Mesh. And we hope that our customers can help test our "beta version" and provide more suggestions about it. So that we can make it stable more quickly.
    * We have been developing on BLE Mesh to improve our performance, like "Wi-Fi & BLE Mesh Coexistence Performance", "Fast OTA Performance", etc.
    * And we will release a version soon which has a much improved "Wi-Fi & BLE Mesh Coexistence Performance".
  • which ESP32 IDF version will be supported for that?
    * If all goes well, I think IDF 4.0 or IDF 4.1 will be supported for "BLE Mesh SDK".
Thanks for providing details for same. I will check it and let you know if nay further queries regarding same.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

myesp32demo

Postby myesp32demo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 pm

I was trying to test the BLE Mesh beta version... and able to flash the node and client in two separate devices (ESP32-D0WDQ6). But not able to provision it using nrfMesh app and also seems that the apk uploaded in the GitHub page is not in correct format. Does anyone else try to test it? Will be very helpful to get some input. I don't have led light soldered in my devices so Is there any other ways to test the generic client/server modal.
Thanks

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi myesp32demo. Ive been playing for few days with ble mesh. Let me give you some advice:
1) start with mesh node example, this kind of ble mesh device is used in devices like light bulbs or switches any other devices that will be controlled and provide his state.
2) ive got no problem to use nRF mesh app, but Silicon labs app is easier to start
3) espressif provisioner works, but like you said sometimes it cant be installed because is reported wrong format (remember to add .apk extension to it).

If you have some more question i will try to help.

ESP_Island

Postby ESP_Island » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:22 am

Hi myesp32demo. Ive been playing for few days with ble mesh. Let me give you some advice:
1) start with mesh node example, this kind of ble mesh device is used in devices like light bulbs or switches any other devices that will be controlled and provide his state.
2) ive got no problem to use nRF mesh app, but Silicon labs app is easier to start
3) espressif provisioner works, but like you said sometimes it cant be installed because is reported wrong format (remember to add .apk extension to it).

@chegewara, thanks for helping reply :)

There are some bugs of Silicon Lab APP. So if you use this app, you need to enable the "CONFIG_PATCH_FOR_SILICONLAB_APP_1_1_0" in "Example Configuration" in menuconfig.

ESP_Island

Postby ESP_Island » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:08 am

I was trying to test the BLE Mesh beta version... and able to flash the node and client in two separate devices (ESP32-D0WDQ6). But not able to provision it using nrfMesh app and also seems that the apk uploaded in the GitHub page is not in correct format. Does anyone else try to test it? Will be very helpful to get some input. I don't have led light soldered in my devices so Is there any other ways to test the generic client/server modal.
Thanks

@myesp32demo, you can add print log in the function 'board_led_operation' to simulate the RGB leds
* void board_led_operation(uint8_t pin, uint8_t onoff)
* param `onoff`: 1, on; 0, off
* param `pin`: RGB lights, refer to the following definitions

#if defined(CONFIG_ESP_WROOM_32_BOARD)
#define LED_R GPIO_NUM_25
#define LED_G GPIO_NUM_26
#define LED_B GPIO_NUM_27
#elif defined(CONFIG_ESP_WROVER_BOARD)
#define LED_R GPIO_NUM_0
#define LED_G GPIO_NUM_2
#define LED_B GPIO_NUM_4
#endif

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:05 am

Because i prefer to not use GPIO as output pin, its on devboard button, i am using WROOM config even for wrover board and it works fine.

I have 2 questions, is any chance that android provisioner will be open source? What is status of callback from board code to publish switch changes or button click?
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/bl ... ard.c#L102

myesp32demo

Postby myesp32demo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm

chegewara wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Hey Thanks a lot for your reply. Will try as you said and catch you if got any problem. Sorry for the delayed response I was trying with Nordic devices in the meantime.

myesp32demo

Postby myesp32demo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:03 pm

ESP_Island wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:08 am
Thanks

@myesp32demo, you can add print log in the function 'board_led_operation' to simulate the RGB leds
* void board_led_operation(uint8_t pin, uint8_t onoff)
* param `onoff`: 1, on; 0, off
* param `pin`: RGB lights, refer to the following definitions

#if defined(CONFIG_ESP_WROOM_32_BOARD)
#define LED_R GPIO_NUM_25
#define LED_G GPIO_NUM_26
#define LED_B GPIO_NUM_27
#elif defined(CONFIG_ESP_WROVER_BOARD)
#define LED_R GPIO_NUM_0
#define LED_G GPIO_NUM_2
#define LED_B GPIO_NUM_4
#endif
Thanks will try to do so. and let you know if works well.

ESP_Island

Postby ESP_Island » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:19 am

I have 2 questions, is any chance that android provisioner will be open source? What is status of callback from board code to publish switch changes or button click?
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/bl ... ard.c#L102

The code you mentioned will publish the status when the led status is changed because of a button click (simulate the wall switch case).

If the led status is changed because of the provisioner's `on/off set` command, it will publish the status in the function `gen_onoff_set_handler`.

BTW, for the Android APP, nRF mesh app is open source, you can use it as a reference.

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:09 am

ESP_Island wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:19 am

The code you mentioned will publish the status when the led status is changed because of a button click (simulate the wall switch case).
Exactly that I mean, to build switch.
ESP_Island wrote:
If the led status is changed because of the provisioner's `on/off set` command, it will publish the status in the function `gen_onoff_set_handler`.
Yes, I know, thanks.
ESP_Island wrote:
BTW, for the Android APP, nRF mesh app is open source, you can use it as a reference.
Thanks, I will find it and study.