New ESP32-WROVER Ethernet Board

mikemoy

New ESP32-WROVER Ethernet Board

Postby mikemoy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:57 pm

I Needed Ethernet, but could not find anything that was small. So I designed one, and added some things as well.

Here is the first prototype for the ESP32-Wrover with Ethernet. Name to be figured out yet. If it turns out enough people want it I will start selling them. Price is to TBD, as quantity really matters to help with that. It currently works, and in the next few days I will be hooking some I2c and SPI peripherals to it and creating a video of it in action. Have demo code working for both in ESP-IDF and Arduino.

Some info about the board.
1) 0.1" pin headers, to plug into your favorite solderless breadboard.
2) LAN8720A Ethernet Transceiver.
3) Onboard 3.3v 2A switching power supply. Vin max 17V. Plenty of power to power all your peripherals.
4) SX1509BIULTRT, GPIO Expander 16CH, via I2C. This is quite a wicked chip. Has 2 power rails that you can select the voltage for the I/O pins. Built in features like LED breath, flash, & keyboard scanning . There are 2, 10 pin headers for each GPIO port. GND, GPIO 1-8, VCC for that 8-pit port. Here is the data sheet:
https://www.semtech.com/uploads/documen ... 0x_89b.pdf

There is no onboard USB programmer to save on cost. Instead, I designed one of those too.
WIN_20180423_17_25_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180423_17_25_41_Pro.jpg (286.28 KiB) Viewed 51748 times
WIN_20180423_17_25_51_Pro.jpg
Bottom
WIN_20180423_17_25_51_Pro.jpg (324.01 KiB) Viewed 51748 times
WIN_20180423_17_27_43_Pro.jpg
With Programmer
WIN_20180423_17_27_43_Pro.jpg (329.87 KiB) Viewed 51748 times
Last edited by mikemoy on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinayotte

Re: New ESP32-WROVER Ethernet Board

Postby martinayotte » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Looks very nice ! ;)

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:19 am

Looks nice, but belongs in showcase subforum.

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Mike,

I love you!

I need 1 ASAP! PM sent :)

Code: Select all

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
		if(!xStreamBufferIsEmpty(mug)){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
			xTaskCreate(sBrew, "brew", 9000, &mug, 1, NULL);
			xSemaphoreTake(sCoffeeRdy, portMAX_DELAY);
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);
}

Stellargate

Postby Stellargate » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm

It's just perfect i would buy a few of them , but one suggestion, that board is perfect for home automation projects where you use 24V power lines (due to bigger power loss on 12v on long cables.) so using controller that could handle 24V +, would be just huge advantage in world of 11-17 V boards that do need additional converter board when you want to plug it anywhere else than breadbord.
I know what i say because we sell automation on esp for hotels that works on buildings over a year, and that was one of the biggest problems with ready to go boards on the market.

Second thing... that would be just blessing !!! POE !!!! Power Over Ethernet, even if it will take a bit bigger board. or possible kind of hat or connector to connect for example ready to buy POE modules used in CCTV cameras (1$ on well known eastern website) that could be put on top that gives you POE.

Third thing and that i cannot even name it as what beautiful that would be is build in logic level converter that could be used to direct connect the 5V automation peryferial that are already on market, mabe something that could be jumpered whether to use it or not, or just power switching jumper on level converter block that could be set to 5 or 3.3 ..... Keypads for access control are 5V, door release switches must use more than 3.3 because of signal loss etc. And ESP is so much prone for interference that direct connecting things to the ESP when it comes for example to WIEGAND interface (and that is possible because ESP even if not documented is in a way 5V tolerant, just a resistor in series and you are fine, but fast bidirectional level converter could make things done fast.
Why i'm telling about those things ?
I's not hard to make "another and the same as other boards" , the clue is to show something that is not on the market.

There is board that is close to Your design is ESP32-GATEWAY, and it has SD card, costs 17 EUR. But no POE, No level converter, No possible power IN more than 5V external.
So if You introduce something like that it will shine like a star !

If you build that i assure i would buy a few houndreds of them because right now i must buld them every time by my self from modules.

Good project !
Last edited by Stellargate on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Moved from News to Showcase, as it seems to give a bit of discussion.

ginodecock

Postby ginodecock » Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi,

Nice project. Do you have a project that would make it a wifi router?

Thanks,

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Stellargate wrote:It's just perfect i would buy a few of them , but one suggestion, that board is perfect for home automation projects where you use 24V power lines (due to bigger power loss on 12v on long cables.) so using controller that could handle 24V +, would be just huge advantage in world of 11-17 V boards that do need additional converter board when you want to plug it anywhere else than breadbord.
I know what i say because we sell automation on esp for hotels that works on buildings over a year, and that was one of the biggest problems with ready to go boards on the market.

Second thing... that would be just blessing !!! POE !!!! Power Over Ethernet, even if it will take a bit bigger board. or possible kind of hat or connector to connect for example ready to buy POE modules used in CCTV cameras (1$ on well known eastern website) that could be put on top that gives you POE.

Third thing and that i cannot even name it as what beautiful that would be is build in logic level converter that could be used to direct connect the 5V automation peryferial that are already on market, mabe something that could be jumpered whether to use it or not, or just power switching jumper on level converter block that could be set to 5 or 3.3 ..... Keypads for access control are 5V, door release switches must use more than 3.3 because of signal loss etc. And ESP is so much prone for interference that direct connecting things to the ESP when it comes for example to WIEGAND interface (and that is possible because ESP even if not documented is in a way 5V tolerant, just a resistor in series and you are fine, but fast bidirectional level converter could make things done fast.
Why i'm telling about those things ?
I's not hard to make "another and the same as other boards" , the clue is to show something that is not on the market.

There is board that is close to Your design is ESP32-GATEWAY, and it has SD card, costs 17 EUR. But no POE, No level converter, No possible power IN more than 5V external.
So if You introduce something like that it will shine like a star !

If you build that i assure i would buy a few houndreds of them because right now i must buld them every time by my self from modules.

Good project !
Spoken from my heart!

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);
}

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:Moved from News to Showcase, as it seems to give a bit of discussion.
Thanks, you were correct. I should have put it here, sorry.

Sorry guys, I did not get any e-mail alerts on this topic after I posted it so I just assumed that people thought it was a silly idea, and have done nothing with it since that post. I'll get back on it and come up with a price & some examples for it.

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Mike,

I have a suggestion for you to move on:
Make it POE compatible. This means you may have to use an RJ45 without magnetics, but a separate transformer.
HOWEVER, if you look at the Raspberry Pi 3B+, it doesn't have a separate transformer, but the RJ45 connector has the proper leads to access the pins. (most common RJ45 types don't allow access to the transformer pins, which is a shame :cry: )
The needed pins for the POE, can then be just routed to pin header either to the perimiter of the board or as separate header
If you make the POE move on this board, I guarantee, that it will be sold in thousands!

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);