What runs on each core? And can you force ethernet callback routines onto core 0?

scotthauck

What runs on each core? And can you force ethernet callback routines onto core 0?

Postby scotthauck » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Is there any reference to what runs on each of the cores of the ESP32 under a normal arduino application?

Looks like the Arduino setup & loop are on core 1. The Ethernet callback function also seems to end up on core 1 (i.e. I'm using AsyncUDP, and the onPacket routine says it is on core 1). I believe the RF stack is supposed to be on core 0.

I was hoping to toss the callback routine onto core 0, but don't see an obvious mechanism to do it - is there a mechanism? Registering the callback routine via a thread running on core 0 didn't seem to do it.

Yes, my callback routine is fairly efficient, but I'd like to keep core 1 doing just the Arduino "loop" stuff if possible.

Thanks!

lbernstone

Re: What runs on each core? And can you force ethernet callback routines onto core 0?

Postby lbernstone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:42 pm

https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... fig.h#L112
You can grep through the code for xTaskCreate to see which tasks use which core. They are controlled through sdkconfig.h, or you can pass them as -D build parameters.

idahowalker

Re: What runs on each core? And can you force ethernet callback routines onto core 0?

Postby idahowalker » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Use xTaskCreatePinnedToCore(), internet search time. BTW xTaskCreatePinnedToCore works just like xTaskCreate().