ESP32 methods of wireless data transfer

ryangishy

ESP32 methods of wireless data transfer

Postby ryangishy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 am

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a project where I am using ESP32 Dev Board. I connected my board to a MPU-6050 to read the value of angles with the help of conversion formulas using arduino. Currently I am using Wi-Fi to send the data received from the ESP32 to an App on my phone. The App is able to view the data live and I am also able to use the app to export the data in an excel file. BUT, the main drawback for this is that the rate of data transfer depends heavily on the strength of the Wi-Fi signal between my phone and the ESP32.

Do you guys know of any other way where I can transfer my data WIRELESSLY maybe in a text file or excel file? The data that the ESP32 is reading is angular numerical values. Bluetooth is probably my next best solution but I tried searching online and I couldn't really find a solution as most of the tutorials online are just sending commands from your bluetooth device (phone) to the ESP32.
I already have all the whole system working just that I need another method to export my data recieved from the ESP32 by a wireless method (e.g bluetooth but I have no idea how).
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ryan

lbernstone

Re: ESP32 methods of wireless data transfer

Postby lbernstone » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm

WiFi 4 (802.11n) has a maximum transfer rate of 54Mb. Bluetooth has a transfer rate of 1Mb. If wifi isn't fast enough for your data, then bluetooth isn't going to help you.
There are many ways to present data over TCPIP, some are faster than others. If you really need maximum speed, you can use udp datagrams. If you want something more on the presentation layer and reliable, then I would point you to websockets or event source. Both of those are available in the ESPAsyncWebServer (or separately from other sources, including the IDF).