Getting the USB HOST port on the ESP32-S3-USB-OTG board to work

mistermiser42

Re: Getting the USB HOST port on the ESP32-S3-USB-OTG board to work

Postby mistermiser42 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

When calling INDATA(), how would you go about catching the incoming data and storing it to something like a byte array, string, binary array, etc.? And am I correct in assuming that the two functions don't need to be called at all?

I also checked out your link, and while it gives a step by step for functions to call, the examples no longer exist, so I will have to do some digging around to find out how these functions actually work, but thank you for this resource!

HeadHodge

Postby HeadHodge » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:52 am

chegewara wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:16 pm
USB host should be working with arduino, or at least it has been working few months ago.
I even tested now and it is working, with v2.0.3 i think, but im not 100% sure, because i do have few versions installed.

https://github.com/chegewara/EspTinyUSB ... mples/host
hi, i'm trying to use your example:

https://github.com/chegewara/EspTinyUSB ... s/host/acm, with my esp32-s3-otg-usb. its perfect for my needs. the problem is... i can't get it working. :(

i copied the library to Arduino ide and it compiled and uploaded perfectly, without change!

however, when i run it, your host.init() returns a 1, but the usb_host_install() returns 0. and nothing, like device callbacks work. :(

any thoughts on how to get usb_host_install() working?

thanks 🤓👍

HeadHodge

Postby HeadHodge » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:07 am

@chegewara, got your ardruino acm-host example working on my esp32-s3-usb-otg board on the usb-host interface with a usb cdc class client dongle plugged into it.

I also have an usb hid class keyboard client working on the usb-client interface plugged into my laptop.

the problem is... only one will work at a time, not both.

to get the usb-client to work, i have to set gpio 18 to:

gpio_set_level((gpio_num_t)18, 0); // USB_SEL: Used to switch the USB interface. When high level, the USB_DEV interface is used. When low level, the USB_HOST interface is used.

to get the usb-host to work, i have to set gpio 18 to:

gpio_set_level((gpio_num_t)18, 1); // USB_SEL: Used to switch the USB interface. When high level, the USB_DEV interface is used. When low level, the USB_HOST interface is used.

Is it possible to get the usb-client and usb-host to work together at the same time?

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:47 am

There is only 1 USB port on esp32 S2/3, so the answer is no, its not possible.

khayamgondal

Postby khayamgondal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:00 pm

@mistermiser42 were you able to figure it out? I am trying to connect a 3d printer to ESP- S3 and wondering can I use the USB host mode for that

tore-espressif

Postby tore-espressif » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:42 am

@mistermiser42 were you able to figure it out? I am trying to connect a 3d printer to ESP- S3 and wondering can I use the USB host mode for that
Let's discuss this in a separate issue:
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/13160