IDE Manage Library Issue (Suggestions)

bxdobs

IDE Manage Library Issue (Suggestions)

Postby bxdobs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:30 pm

Pieced a bunch of simple snippets together to build a Web-based button that basically turns on a relay for N seconds ... played with this on and off for over a month in my spare time and didn't take notes ... now just wanted to document this by installing a fresh copy of the Arduino IDE and the required libraries ... BUT ... the code refused to compile because it couldn't find the required libraries

Code: Select all

#include <esp_task_wdt.h>         // not Found
#define WDT_TIMEOUT 3
#include <WiFi.h>
#include <WebServer.h>                // not Found
#include <WebSocketsServer.h>
#include <ArduinoJson.h>
Spent a number of hours:
- reviewing the list of Installed Libraries on the dev machine
- adding the Libraries I thought would be relevant
- reviewing the Build folder to see what Libraries were being brought together
- attempting to find an association in the H files that would identify the Library it belongs to
- searching the web for any Library reference guide

In my final effort to research this issue, I stumbled on the solution which was simply to restart the IDE ... clearly a wasted amount of effort to find this detail ... specifically that when adding a library, the IDE REQUIRES a RESTART ... WHY ... if the compiler has to reload some kind of new info can't this be triggered by closing the Library Manager?

Perhaps this has been fixed in the latest IDE version ... still using Win7 machines so stuck with IDE 1.8.19

Also could Library Developers PLEASE include the LIBRARY name in the header of ALL h files

Perhaps ESP and or Arduino could create a Reference Guide (LOOKUP) that references any h file to its required LIBRARY