New to esp32, trying to troubleshoot

lktesp32

New to esp32, trying to troubleshoot

Postby lktesp32 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 pm

This is my first experience with ESP32/Arduino. I ordered an Aokin ESP32-CAM with ESP32-CAM-MB from amazon. I installed Arduino IDE and selected AI Thinker ESP32 Cam as the board. I opened the CameraWebServer example and modified the WiFi creds. It uploads to the board fine, connects to wifi and responds over http displaying the web interface. When I try to get still image, it responds with an http 500 error and the serial output shows "Camera capture failed." Start stream also fails.
So far, I've verified the pinouts in the docs I received with the board to the pinouts defined in the sample code. They appear to line up, but with the docs saying "D0" through "D7" while the code says "Y2_GPIO" through "Y9_GPIO." The names are slightly different, but the pin assignments line up. I've tried lowering the XCLK from 20 down to 5, as well as lowering the image size. I've inspected and reseated the ribbon cable going from the camera to the board. I tried changing the fb=esp_camera_fb_get() call to esp_camera_fb_return(fb). I've seen multiple people stating that it's very important to choose the right board type, but nobody explains how to best do this. There are no identifying labels on my board, except the very generic "ESP32-CAM." I did try selecting the "ESP32 Dev Module" but the results are the same. I set CORE_DEBUG_LEVEL to verbose under tools menu. This displayed additional information, but nothing related to the issue I'm having.

Are there other troubleshooting steps I can take? Maybe a way to get additional debug info from the call to the camera module, or a different call I can make to the camera to verify it sees the camera? I see people saying sometimes you just get a bad camera, but I don't have a spare to try and would like to somehow confirm this before just buying more stuff.

Thanks!

lktesp32

Re: New to esp32, trying to troubleshoot

Postby lktesp32 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:08 am

I logged the id.PID from esp_camera_sensor_get(), which returned the expected value for the ov2640 camera. This provided confirmation that the code was successfully seeing the camera as it should. After this, I ordered a second unit and the second one works fine. so just bad hw.