How can we get ESP32-AT loaded via Arduino IDE?

redheadedrod

How can we get ESP32-AT loaded via Arduino IDE?

Postby redheadedrod » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:11 am

Using an Arduino due based board which only connects to the ESP32 module through UART0.

So this post is basically a 3 part question.

#1, How can I change the "AT" UART so it uses UART0?

#2, How can I turn off the console so it doesn't also write to UART0 since I only have UART0 available? Is the only way to change to using UART1? And if this is the case would I change that in the sdkconfig file?

#3, How can I get ESP32-AT to compile under Arduino IDE? When I try it appears there are a bunch of files missing. My first guess is that it wasn't designed to be used with Arduino IDE and only the native ESP32 development system?

I am using a Macchina M2 as my Arduino Board and their ESP32 board if this helps at all.

redheadedrod

Re: How can we get ESP32-AT loaded via Arduino IDE?

Postby redheadedrod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I probably should have asked is there a way to take a binary compiled with ESP-IDF and upload it with ESP Arduino?

I know I can do this with Arduino sketches. If it is compiled it can be uploaded. I would hope this could be done with the ESP32 as well?

The ESP32 unit I have is setup as a XBEE module so I don't have a separate programming interface available to it.

I am running a sketch on the Arduino host board that essentially puts the ESP into "download" mode and passes the serial through to the UART0 port. Works great for flashing Arduino IDE ESP32 sketches but doesn't connect during ESP-IDF attempts.

Rodney

redheadedrod

Postby redheadedrod » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:37 am

Figured it out. Have to treat ESP-IDF same as Arduino IDE and it worked.

In the case of the Macchina M2 you have to run a simple sketch that passes the code through to the ESP32. But with the M2 you must turn off the reset before and after the flash.

Rodney

redheadedrod

Postby redheadedrod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 am

Follow up question if someone can answer...

Since this ESP32 module I am using is a simple BT/WiFi module and nothing else is supported I am looking for an Arduino library to communicate with the ESP32-AT library.

Communications from the Arduino to the ESP32 is through the Arduino Dues Serial3 port.

Will write one if there isn't one but I want to simplify calling the ESP32 commands programmatically. Such as Turning on and off functions with a simple function call instead of manually writing out the AT commands.

FCT_IOT

Postby FCT_IOT » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:00 pm

redheadedrod wrote:Follow up question if someone can answer...

Since this ESP32 module I am using is a simple BT/WiFi module and nothing else is supported I am looking for an Arduino library to communicate with the ESP32-AT library.

Communications from the Arduino to the ESP32 is through the Arduino Dues Serial3 port.

Will write one if there isn't one but I want to simplify calling the ESP32 commands programmatically. Such as Turning on and off functions with a simple function call instead of manually writing out the AT commands.
Hi,

I am interfacing esp-wroom-32d with External MCU. I am in a dilemma as to which UART Terminal to use. I believe you have worked it out in ur project. Request you to let me know , if we can use UART 0 for

1. Interface MCU with ESP-WROOM-32 for communication
2. Connect ESP-WROOM-32D to PC for firmware download through a USB-UART Connector.

Will this work fine or do I need to use UART-1 for AT Commands transfer as mentioned in the AT Command instruction set document and UART-0 for the firmware downloading. Request you to provide some clarifications.

Thanks in advance